Be it ever so humble ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kiwiturner

I admit it :) I love peeking into peoples workshops when I'm out on site :eek:. I also enjoy seeing photos of other members shops as well. So I thought it appropriate to share a little of where I go for some R&R.

The workshop is a 20 x 20 foot double garage, the usual tin shed type. Hot as Hades in summer and as cold as Pluto in winter. Still its my playpen and I enjoy what time I can get out in it.

The workshop has a ranch-slider on the left side and a tilta door on the right so its split 50/50 for entrances. Access is usually via the ranch-slider and this is the view as you enter. The rest of the shots are pretty normal for a woodies workshop.

I'm always on the lookout for good storage ideas as well. I've still got to hang some doors on the wall bench, but theres always something more pressing to do :p

Attachments

• DSCF0664.jpg
    DSCF0664.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF0667.jpg
    DSCF0667.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF0668.jpg
    DSCF0668.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF0669.jpg
    DSCF0669.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF0670.jpg
    DSCF0670.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCF0673.jpg
    DSCF0673.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Mmmmm ... yes, I see, not a lot of room for that all-purpose type saw you're looking into.

I guess you had a saw just in front of the planer?

I see the lathe of course, the drill press, the grinder, and the planer .... no other large power tools. Keeping the other side free for the car?

I see that there's little room for the planned bandsaw .... but a flip-up design for a portable table saw could just as easily be a flip-down design attached to the front of a cabinet, and the circular saw would store beneath the work table (safely retracted, of course). The same design would also accommodate a router as well.

bobleibo

Holy cow, how do you keep track of all that stuff?
There used to be a Birthday Bash contest that was something along the line of "shop life" or "name that shop" ....something like that. It needs to be a part of the contest again, it was fun seeing where everyone worked.

Kiwiturner

Mmmmm ... yes, I see, not a lot of room for that all-purpose type saw you're looking into.

I guess you had a saw just in front of the planer?

I see the lathe of course, the drill press, the grinder, and the planer .... no other large power tools. Keeping the other side free for the car?

I see that there's little room for the planned bandsaw .... but a flip-up design for a portable table saw could just as easily be a flip-down design attached to the front of a cabinet, and the circular saw would store beneath the work table (safely retracted, of course). The same design would also accommodate a router as well.
There's actually a lot of spare room, some it can be seen between the drill press and the mitersaw which is against the far wall, so accommodating a new saw wont be an issue as it will sit right next to the drill press and the router table will br rolled around the back of the lathe bench.
Right at this point the car we have is too big to fit and the van lives outside.

Kiwiturner

Holy cow, how do you keep track of all that stuff?
There used to be a Birthday Bash contest that was something along the line of "shop life" or "name that shop" ....something like that. It needs to be a part of the contest again, it was fun seeing where everyone worked.

The old saying "everything it its place" and "a place for everything" so long as you dont hang on to stuff for too long. :biggrin:

Kiwiturner

Not even one wood chip on the floor ! Get back to work .

I swept up and ran the vacuum over all the benches. The place was looking a little shabby. One has one standards you know :smile-big: ( which of course go out the window with every new project).

Skie_M

Ahh ... so it's a router, not a planer that you have sitting in front of the drill press.

Yeah, if you can't fit the vehicles in there and the wife has no designs on "extended stay" or "permanent" storage space, that area is plenty of room for expansion .... you could take the "wall" formed by the lathe and drill press bench and move it back against the wall and really open up your play area. Might even end up with room for a center island, so you can really put a table saw to use! :)

Also a good idea to have a lot of room around a band saw, so that you can really get in there with more intricate detail work or do some heavy ripping of your stock. Might just be a good idea to install it on wheels so you can move it around, but lock it down each time before you use it.

Another nice idea with an open frame design is to put some hangers up on the roof rafters to hang your spare boards and other long items up out of the way, and you can also put shelves up in the unused area to accommodate tools that are rarely used or for more wood storage.

Or alternatively, get a few cans of expanding spray foam and insulate that shed so you can keep comfortable in summer and keep out of your wife's hair in the winter. :) A window AC unit would go a long way, but you"ll want to install an extra filter on the front for all the dust it's going to see. For a heating unit .... I'ld suggest a portable wheeled sealed oil heating radiator (electric powered) rather than an open heating element style with forced air blowing over it.

Top Bottom