ER32 from China

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

Been looking at ER32 collets on e-Bay and there are huge savings buying from Hong Kong vendors. They have great feedback ratings.
Anyone have experience with buying from any tooling from these Hong Kong vendors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Usually the shipping makes it about the same as buying from a guy in California (I think) another ebay dealer ... check some of the recent threads in the past month or so.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I have absolutely no qualms about buying Chinese stuff, but like Lenny said, shipping costs could make it about even.
I don't know if you'd be subject to import tax and shipping handling charges from your end and there is also the massive peace of mind of buying from somewhere more local so you at least 'feel' you have a comeback route if all is not well.

When I researched and bought my collets and chuck, I found that 'not all' ER32 collets were 'standard'. I think the difference was in the retaining ring in the chuck nut rather than the shape of the collets. Of course, if you buy the collets and the chuck from the same place then that wouldn't be an issue. Mine both come from India

Kretzky

I posted in another thread the average price for the cheaper ones seems to be around $90 to $110. Including freight/ post etc.
You can of course pay $300 - $400 too.

Fred

You have to also figure in the time the shipment will take to get to you. I just ordered several LED ring lights from China and the trip took all of a month to reach me.

Lenny

There will be some gaps in coverage with that set but it is a decent price.
A morse taper chuck will really limit what you can do with the collets. One that threads on to your spindle will be much more versatile.

Actually that does cover the full range up to 3/4 ... You could add the 13/16" later!

Last edited:

markgum

Yeah; some gaps, but then I can fill them in here and there as $$ from SWMBO are tossed my way. will have to look around for a threaded chuck

woodgraver

I bought a similar set from China off ebay...use it on my CNC machine and I can't tell the difference between them and the two US made ones that came with the machine. I'm very happy and even with shipping I saved over $100.

John Den

The only comment would be to consider buying metric range rather than Imperial.
The closing is limited to 1mm metric or imperial and getting the full range (eventually) with no gaps appears to be easier in metric.
Regards,
John

bradh

Thanks for the comments, feedback and thread-link everyone.
Looks to me like all these sets are made in China.
Locally they want $160 to $300 for the same China-made sets! I think I will try ordering the full Metric set from Hong Kong. One supplier is even offering free shipping.
I will have to see how much I get hit with for duty when it arrives.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

I just bought a set this last week because I asked for the Beall collet chuck for Christmas. This guy is in Ohio and since I am in Ohio I went ahead and purchased. I had it three days after I paid and it has a free wooden box with it.

I also placed a best offer on one of the Chinese listings. They declined my best offer and then sent me an invoice through paypal to get me to pay for something they were never going to ship. Really strange.

Here is the guy I bought from in Ohio:

18pc Metric ER32 Spring Collet Set 3mm to 20mm B071 | eBay

Top Bottom