Engraving pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I mostly give them away my pens as gifts. I'd like to start engraving names on them, but not sure what engraver to buy. I turn both wood and acrylic. The engraver would need to be portable as well (meaning not too heavy to carry). I live in an apartment and do all of my turning in the bathroom. I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

Reactions: Joe
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

You can get any of the NEJE style 1000 watt lasers from Amazon or Gearbest for between $75 and $120 depending on source and price fluctuations. Very portable. However it would be for wood mainly. There are differing opinons as to if it works on acrylics. I've not had much luck with mine but haven't experimented nearly to the extent of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJBPenmaker

I mostly give them away my pens as gifts. I'd like to start engraving names on them, but not sure what engraver to buy. I turn both wood and acrylic. The engraver would need to be portable as well (meaning not too heavy to carry). I live in an apartment and do all of my turning in the bathroom. I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
I use the Neje DK-BL 1500mw which has Bluetooth and connects to your phone via an app (not very flexible) and has a rechargeable battery that supposedly lasts about 3 hours which makes it quite portable but you can also connect to a laptop via USB and install desktop software which is better. A word of caution, the iOS app has issues at the moment, so android it is!
I have tried acrylic and have only had limited success if I paint the acrylic first to stop the laser getting diffracted by the acrylic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

twehr

You can get any of the NEJE style 1000 watt lasers from Amazon or Gearbest for between $75 and $120 depending on source and price fluctuations. Very portable. However it would be for wood mainly. There are differing opinons as to if it works on acrylics. I've not had much luck with mine but haven't experimented nearly to the extent of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI- That is 1000mW not 1000W. 1000mW is actually 1 watt.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Following...

I would love to see something more reliable, cover a slighly larger area, and more powerful (to engrave acrylics) in the $400 to $600 range. I would go as high as a grand, if it did what I wanted it to.

I have 2 NEJEs and the rotary jig, but would still like to see the above.

eharri446

I order this 40 watt laser from Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJGFS7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost $448.99 and it was sent to me the next day for an additional $30 for next day delivery. It is capable of engraving acrylic, you just have to place blue or green painters tape over the area that you want to engrave, otherwise the polish on the acrylic will reflect the laser beam and it will not engrave properly.

TonyL

Thank you. So you like it? It's reviews were mediocre, but I am sure you read them.

Top Bottom