Easy Wood Tool Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodKnot

I'm new to turning and just getting started. I took a pen turning class and they used Easy Wood tools, the tools have a good rep here and I've decided to get a set of Easy Wood turning tools. They come in three sizes. I think I used the medium sized tools at the class.

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the mini and midi tools? I think the short tools are designed for pen turning, does anyone have experience with them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I use all three sizes but stick to the minis for pen turning. CS USA offers an exclusive EWT for penturning which is essentially the mini rougher with a C12 R2 (radius) cutter instead of the square cutter.

I turn 90% of my pens with the R2, a small spindle-master and/or a skew.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have 2 of the EWT Easy Start tools - one with an R2 cutter & one with a round cutter. I pretty much only use the R2 on pens & really like it. I use both for bottle stoppers.
I think they are the ideal size for pens & other small things, but I haven't tried anything larger than a bottle stopper yet.

I also have a no-brand full size (1/2" shaft) tool with a triangle-shaped cutter that I picked up on ebay pretty cheap. It works great and I sometimes use it on bottle stoppers, but it's almost too big for small projects IMHO.

kovalcik

Personally, I am not a fan of EWT. In my opinion, they cost too much for what they are, which is basically a soft metal bar with a cutter screwed on. You can make your own version with a $5 piece of steel and about 15 minutes on a grinder and 5 more minutes to drill and tap a screw hole. You will need to turn a handle, but you already have a lathe, right? There are also many people selling their own versions for a a lot less than EWT.

Whatever you get, I would stay away from any "mini" tools (carbide or HSS). They end up being very limiting if you decide you want to turn other items. If you found the medium size to be comfortable, stick with that size.

Full disclosure: I rarely, if ever, use my carbide tools for pen turning. I use them mostly for hollowing.

Last edited:

rblakemore

We use the EZ tools

We use the EZ tool chisels for our pens; we use the minis and have been very pleased so far. We started with pens and are now beginning to branch out and are obtaining gouges and scrapers as we expand.

Top Bottom