International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

EWT sells the easy chuck for $500. How much did it cost them in supplies and how much are they making? I would guess they make about $200-300 clear profit. I like EWT but that price puts a 14 year old out of the running for purchase.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 9

I'll keep turning a handle and using screws on my Oneway and Nova for that price. Heck I can buy another lathe and not have to change chucks!

Kevin Little
www.littlewooddesigns.com

“Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.” Butch Cassidy

Leviblue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

i would not complain about profit buy a slim kit for 4,a blank for 1 or 2 then sell it for 20 to 25
that what making and selling is about, making money. do forget about his time and tools he had to buy. material is not your only cost.
pensbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman1998 View Post
EWT sells the easy chuck for $500. How much did it cost them in supplies and how much are they making? I would guess they make about $200-300 clear profit. I like EWT but that price puts a 14 year old out of the running for purchase.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner
It puts a lot of people out of the running for purchase.

I can easily afford it, but would rather buy 2 VicMarcs for that price.
The Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 4

People let us review some cost to bring Easy Chuck to market here in Untied States.

Also, where does the money come from to bring a product to market? OPM might be difficult to get at a bank. So if do not have enough of your own money have to tap family, friends, or venture capitalist Sole proprietor ownership and future profits if any diluted.

Design, drawings
Research & development, prototypes
Patent application & legal fees
Other business legal & accounting fees
Production, machine set up, materials & minimum order per production run.
Advertisement fees
Cost to sell; hard to estimate cost to put Easy Chuck in vendor stores or websites.
Distribution, shipping

Hardly think there will be big profits from sale of Easy Chucks & accessories for many years to come. Like have said before might be some real money from licensing to other manufacturers.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 273

WILDMAN, what is your stake in all of this hooplah (product)? Seems that you are "trying" too hard to justify the product's (high price)? You are doing a great job on the 'promotional' side of things. Just curious...
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 16

Though a bit on the high cost side, I am liking tis chunk.

SEMPER FI!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY
cozee is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #28 (permalink)

Wood-of-1-kind, have no stake in success or failure of Easy Wood chuck. Appreciate new innovation in woodturning tools. Like most folks here and on other message boards had a case of sticker shock when learned actual price for an Easy Chuck. But wait there is more no idea on cost of accessories for this chuck.

Most of the innovation in woodturning tools comes from people inside the turning community. Already mention few woodturning innovators that help advance the craft. Bob Stockdale and Roy Child, advanced bevel angles & designs on today’s bowl and spindle gouges. Gerry Glaser gave us more than just carbon steel tools.

So when say excited by innovation & features of new Easy Wood Chuck am sincere! Where would turning community be without time, money, and effort of the people that take risk. Still look forward to reading reviews of item in use.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Wood-of-1-kind, have no stake in success or failure of Easy Wood chuck. Appreciate new innovation in woodturning tools. Like most folks here and on other message boards had a case of sticker shock when learned actual price for an Easy Chuck. But wait there is more no idea on cost of accessories for this chuck.

Most of the innovation in woodturning tools comes from people inside the turning community. Already mention few woodturning innovators that help advance the craft. Bob Stockdale and Roy Child, advanced bevel angles & designs on today’s bowl and spindle gouges. Gerry Glaser gave us more than just carbon steel tools.

So when say excited by innovation & features of new Easy Wood Chuck am sincere! Where would turning community be without time, money, and effort of the people that take risk. Still look forward to reading reviews of item in use.
Your name dropping is still lost on me. I fail to see how the mere fact that innovation in woodturning exists demands that this product should be purchased at that price. Perhaps if it filled some real need, but I'm not seeing that.

You're entire argument as to why this product is good was that it eliminates the problem of breaking off hex screws while changing jaws. If this was a problem that I frequently experienced (or ever experienced), I suppose that I might be interested in a fix. Of course, if that were a problem for me, I'd probably examine my practices prior to replacing perfectly good chucks with this expensive one.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Emerson
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Sbell111, I do not advocate anyone buy an easy wood chuck! I and other turners that been around more than couple years know only real tool junkies will go out and buy this chuck right away. Of course we wish Craig Jackson well. Yea, would like to here opinions on this chuck once folks get their hands on it.

Think have explained myself as well as I can. If you do not understand my words sorry cannot help explain it any better. Please ignore my postings now and in the future.

Last edited by Wildman; 11-26-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling