Dust collector advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have a dedicated shop vac that has a Clear Vue mini cyclone on it sitting at my lathe--basically it catches a little of the shavings generated and then I hook a nozzle to it and vacuum up the bulk of the scrappage that way.
I am wondering what you folks would advise for a dust collection system that will actually suck away a lot of the shavings as they are generated. I have a shop air cleaner--the Jet one, but even running that pretty consistently I end up with dust all over everything.

All advice/input is appreicated--Thanks--Dn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I bought a Shop Fox with a 1.5 HP motor 3 years ago and Peachtree WW (in Norcross) and so far, I am happy with it. I bought it because it sells at a discount to a similarly equipped Jet (at least at the time it did). It is dedicated to a single 1221 lathe.

I only have a hang on the wall Rockler (less HP) to compare it to, but not a fair comparison. The Rockler is dedicated to a 1015 lathe.

The ShopFox did have a switch blow within the first year which SF cheerfully replaced and led me through the installation.

I did replace the "dust bags" with the finest micron size available because it is supposed to be filter better - IDK.

I would buy another one, but I am not sure what I am missing by not buy another brand and like HP.

I wouldn't by the hang on the wall Rockler. I bought that new for 50% less than what it sells for. Someone won it and was not turning anymore - I knew the guy from my WW club. I found its suction to be too weak - even brand new.

Really can't recommend... but that is my experience. I also have a Jet air cleaner which I like, but not what you asked about and not used for the same purpose...just letting you know that I found adding the air filter to be an improvement in air "quality".

Naturally, I use a bid shop vacuum (Rigid) for spot cleaning (I use the finer micron reusable filter in it).

Enjoy the journey. I would like to hear what others say. Maybe, I made a mistake by not buying a Jet or better.

Last edited:
I would like to see some different jigs and solutions as well for lathe dust collection and if it's even possible to capture a good amount of shavings and dust using just a shopvac and clearvue mini. I have that same setup. For the meantime, I am just wearing a mask anytime I'm in the shop. But not having clean air prohibits me from wanting to bring my son in the shop for any length of time. I think I'm gonna start making some things to sell to be able to get the 2hp HF dust collector and maybe an air cleaner. I've made a couple of cutting boards and am just getting into turning.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

jbg230

When you do purchase the dust collector you do need to consider the filter. As Curly said, it is the dust you can't see that causes the problems. Check out Wynn International to learn more about filters. These filters will keep you safe and they can be used on many different systems. I have the HF collector with 5" duct work, the Super Dust Deputy, and the Wynn filter and in my small shop, I have not yet felt like I should look for a more expensive collector.

Fish30114

Thanks for the feedback folks, I've read a lot of those articles ya'll linked to-but I appreciate the links--I think adding a strategically placed fan would be a good thought--I also will consider a dedicated dust collection system that works with 4" collection devices.

Thanks--Don

Top Bottom