Dust Collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
We have been looking for a dedicated dust collector for the mill.
It wouldn't be used for metal shavings, just woods and plastics.

We found the HF dust collector.
It's a 70gal., 2HP, 1550cfm with a 4" y-port intake.
It has more HP and CFM than some of the brand name units and has pretty good reviews.
It's on sale this weekend only for $179.99.
Seems like a decent deal, but I wondered if anyone here has any personal
experience with this unit, good or bad?
Their return policy is fairly good, but it would be best if that wouldn't become
necessary.
Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Depending on the model you are looking at, I've heard that those that have the HF DC are pleased with them, however, I believe they come with 5 micron bags. I would recommend you upgrade to some after market bags with a better rating like 2.5 or even better a 1 micron rating.

Go to YouTube and search on it. There are tons of videos and the great majority of them are favorable. Generally the only negative comments are that the unit utilizes a 5 micron bag (which allows the real fine particles to escape) and that the impeller seems too small to get the stated performance (which I've read it doesn't). However it still does a bang up job for the bucks.

There are also a LOT of YouTube videos showing folk changing out the bag for a pleated filter which greatly improves the collection of super fine particles.

I've got one sitting in the box in my shop. I plan to (a) change it to a 2 stage system by adding a cyclone and (b) - get the pleated filter - from Wynn Environmental.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Thanks guys.
I am aware of the 5 micron bag and also read reviews about them and people changing to a smaller micron bag.
When milling, it creates more shavings and chips than it does dust. So the foremost concern is containing that mess for now. I wear a respirator while the mill is running, so we can upgrade the bag at a later time.
We also considered the inline separator to eliminate having to change the bag as often. The benefit would be just removing the lid to empty and could be mounted to a swivel above a hopper. Just fill the hopper and forklift it out to the dumpster.

We went over to get one, but they are out of stock. They said with the hurricane's, deliveries are running behind and gave us a rain-check for the sale price. We're supposed to check back Wednesday.

duncsuss

I have the ShopFox model which looks identical (aside from the paint job) to the HF one.

+1 on the Wynn Environmental pleated filter.

+1 on a separator cyclone -- I have the Woodcraft "trash can cyclone lid" but I've read very good things about the "Thien baffle" (which is more of a do-it-yourself method)

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for the links.
I just googled the Wynn Environmental filters...Wow... they cost as much as the dust collector. I'm sure that will be toward the end of the list.

duncsuss

Thanks for the links.
I just googled the Wynn Environmental filters...Wow... they cost as much as the dust collector. I'm sure that will be toward the end of the list.

An understandable first reaction -- but consider it. Bill Pentz (who designed a cyclone separator) wrote, "Wood dust almost took my life and inspired me to invent much more effective small shop dust collection technology."

Check out his very informative pages ... LINK to his home page, LINK to his blog where he documents the dangers of fine dust (the stuff smaller than regular DC bags capture).

Wildman

I bought that same HF/DC with intentions of going with a Wynn canister after lot of research including reading lot of Bill Pentz. Back then that DC came with 30 micron bags, and canisters lot cheaper than now. Other than replacing on/off switch that DC has served me well.

Curly

Be aware that the figures quoted for most dust collectors is with the blower only. No bags or ducting. So practically speaking you get half the stated CFM at best. Next thing to know, and Bill's site linked earlier will tell you, is that the CFM airflow through a smooth pipe is s little over 400 CFM at best with less from flexible hoses. You need 1000 CFM to catch the fine dust, the powder that coats everything in the shop, that is most dangerous to breath. You need 6" ducting to move that much air and at least a 3 hp collector. Just because you are using a planer or jointer don't think that there isn't any fine dust coming off the machine. Especially if the knives are dull. The blower also chews the chips into finer particles as they pass by through. There are a lot of cheap tools that you can get by with but dust collectors shouldn't be one of them. So I am one that will say don't bother with that one.

Terredax

Banned
Doing the comparisons to other brands:
This looks identical to the big names and the same as some of the others.
Most of the other brands are only 1-1/2HP and have a 30 micron bag, along with lower CFM. All of these other DC's also start at twice the price.

The reviews for this DC are favorable, although there have been people with problems, just like any brand. The issues were resolved satisfactorily for most of them. Some people expect more than just having an issue resolved.

At the present time, we aren't concerned with the fine particles, we have them floating around now. The main objective for now, is to contain the mess that is created very quickly and is time consuming to clean-up between running parts.

Being able to remove the part and place a new piece in without the clean-up, would save approximately 5 minutes per part. That time adds up quickly over a few hours.

If the DC performs well, we would consider the add-on filter and still come out ahead of the other brands. It just isn't a big concern at this time. We have an exhaust fan and the mill is isolated from the rest of the building, so the dust is contained and there is usually very little.

We are going to check Wednesday to see if they have been delivered.

Wildman

JMHO, think the 2 HP rating for my HF/DC is over rated! Use mine most for turning dry wood and sanding at the lathe. Don't worry about DC turning wet wood, so whether wet or dry wood requires me to sweep up. Something I don't have and probably should is an air filter in my shop.

Chip collection at the lathe hit or miss, a DC cannot get it all. Honestly don't know if a 3 HP Cyclone Dc would be much better at the lathe. The only other piece of equipment I have with same problem is my band saw. Although thing could alleviate most of the problem running another hose to top of the table.

Top Bottom