Dust Collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I'd like to thank all those who contributed their advice on my dust collector thread. My family helped me with it for Christmas, and I chose the Harbor Freight 1 HP dust collector with the 13 gallon bag. I've already ordered the polycarbonate for the dust hood lens, and will be picking it up this week to make the dust hood like Curtis made. I already have the Dust Deputy (but don't know if I'll stick with that or make a Thien depending on what will work best for both the vac and the DC), and will be ordering the 1 micron bag from PSI.

I also plan to order a blower fan and make a air filtration unit.

I was going to get the 2 HP dust collector that HF sells, but it's just too big for my space. Today I found a 10 gallon, galvanized trash can that I'll also be adding to the mix for the separator.

My main concern is how will the Dust Deputy with it's 2-inch snout affect the performance of the 4" intake on the DC. OTOH, if I build the Thien then it will have 4" intake/outlet, and my shop vac is less than like 1 1/4". I guess I'll just have to experiment to find out which will work best.

Crashmph

Glad to hear you are getting what you need. For my $.02, I would suggest not using the dust deputy with that collector. You will kill your air flow. A simple "trashcan lid" with 4" inch inlet and outlet placed on top of a metal trashcan will do wonders for you.

ghostrider

Glad to hear you are getting what you need. For my $.02, I would suggest not using the dust deputy with that collector. You will kill your air flow. A simple "trashcan lid" with 4" inch inlet and outlet placed on top of a metal trashcan will do wonders for you.
Thanks.

That's what I was wondering with the DD and the air flow.The Thien baffle is the alternative to the DD, and they do a great job of separating the chips and dust.

That brings up the other part of the equation. Will the 4-inch inlet/outlet on the Thien lid cause a similar problem with the shop vacs 1 1/4" hose? I know I can get step down adapters for it, but I'm wondering about air flow with it. Who knows, maybe it will bring an excuse to buy a different vac, but I'd still rather not get a big one.

Top Bottom