Dust collection while turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I am new to the joys of dust collection at the lathe and today was a good test. I need to amass more product before the holiday season so a load of sierras was on my workboard. I had a wide mouth Dust Right input just behind the pen body with Jet canister dust collector connected through a 4" hose. After turning 21 tubes here is the dust in the lathe and on the floor.

D571874D-6B88-4B76-81FA-8A345ECA48A3_zps496seh1z.jpg

2FBAFDBD-30FD-44AB-93B1-EB7C1275E34F_zps3d56pcok.jpg

If the chips and dust are hard to see it is because there was very little not captured by the Jet. Strings of alumilite and acrylic acetate vanished into the wide mouth. Care was taken not to let the bushings, pen tube or Abranet sanding strips disappear into the vacuum. Cleanup with a shop vacuum took less that a minute. I have a couple of photos where the lathe, floor and I were covered in chips and strings without dust collection.

Here are the results

EE6310AE-BEC8-4E07-B878-13F662FDE3DE_zpskdxbl78g.jpg

Micromesh and OneStep here I come.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

The other half of many of these awaits another day. Sierras give you twice the pleasure.

Thanks for your kind words, I hope the customers agree!

stonepecker

If that is all the dust that got away from the lathe........you are doing very well.
Looks fantastic.
Would love to see the blanks when you are finished with the finish.

magpens

Great dust collection system !!!!!

And it's kinda nice to see those blanks ... some I recognize by name and have turned myself !!

mmayo

You asked, you receive the photo

If that is all the dust that got away from the lathe........you are doing very well.
Looks fantastic.
Would love to see the blanks when you are finished with the finish.

It is a busy time so iPad photo is all I can do. Here are the first ten.

9EEBE9FF-9F2C-4581-9415-2562EBC66F0A_zpsxpwc52ma.jpg

Somehow trust me that they look far better in person, I might buy one...

mmayo

It is a Dust Right shop floor attachment with about 4' of hard plastic 4" pipe. They are sold by Rockler. I bought the Jet canister dust collector and love it.

Fish30114

Thanks for that feedback Mmayo, I'm at the point where I need to step up my dust collection abilities. From your pic it seems you got it figured out--two thumbs up for you!!

Top Bottom