Dust Collection revisited

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

I know, I know check the archives.....Been there, Done that....

Would like opinions good, bad, ugly, and anything else regarding this unit. Value, Ability, Noise level, and what ever else everyone thinks of it. Haven't bought a DC unit yet, but wantin one real bad. BTW birthdays coming. So this could be a subliminal hint to the wife. So the "dust" doesn't get tracked around the house. Seems as tho' its in our price range. Here is the Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45378 Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

You'll probably get more responses if you move this to the Casual Conversation forum. However, also check out PSI; they have some decent looking systems, too. Not that I've used any of them, but it's worth a look.

Scottydont

Lots of folks on the www.bt3central.com forum have the HF dust collector. Do a search and you will find bucket loads of comments. It seems to a good value for the money.

woodwish

The noise level and eficiency of the filter all the biggest differences in what you get for your money it seems. The more efficient the filter the better off you will be. The dust you are tracking in the house is nothing compared to what it is doing to your lungs and your wife's. It's not the chips and sawdust you can see that kills your lungs, it's the fine stuff you can't see. Also, the constant drone of a DC is far worse on your hearing than the machinery that turns on and off. Can't speak for the HF models but the ones from PSI are pretty good for the money, but be sure to upgrade the filters to the finer mesh ones.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you go to the Woodnet forums and do a search you will find this unit highly reccomended for the price.
You will need to upgrade the bags dedending on hte location of the usit in regards to the work space.
Also Bill Pentz site has all th e infromation you will ever need to know about a D.C. system.

opfoto

Thanks for all the help.... I do use a mask when I am turning etc. Usually door is closed but am concerned about the airborne stuff. I plan on locating it in the middle of the BS, DP and Lathe to keep it efficent. No more than 15ft. I have them placed within 3-4 steps of each other in a corner.

esheffield

I have that unit. Haven't had opportunity to use it much yet - I need to make a hood for my lathe. But I'm impressed with it so far. I did upgrade the bags though - the 30 micron ones that come with it are about as useful as a fishnet. [:p] Put on a .3 micron upper filter bag and heavy clear plastic lower collection bag, both from Grizzly. It's remarkably quiet, much more so than my little shop vac. I does draw quite a bit of power at startup - dims the lights for a second. Something none of my other tools do. So I'm planning to run a second circuit around my shop (need it anyway) so I can run the DC and whatever machine I'm using on separate circuits.

woodwish

I will let you know that no DC will really get much of the chips from a lathe. It really is only good to get the dust from sanding and real fine particles when cutting, but it's the fine stuff that will get you in the long run. To get a vacumn strong enough to grab those flying chips would probably suck the wood right out of the lathe and rip the tools from your hands. I always run the DC when turning on the lathe to get fine stuff and sanding dust, but I know I have to sweep up when I finish. I also have another DC outlet right next to the lathe with a 2.5" adapter with about 10' of hose. I use it to clean the chips off the lathe and vacumn the floor around it periodically. If the chips are really thick (from bowl/platter turning) then I will sweep most of it into a trashcan, but I still vacumn the rest of it. I also use the chips from the DC for mulch around the yard, but it does get some strange colors and smells when I turn exotic stuff (drives the dogs' noses crazy).[:)]

Doghouse

I had the HF and it was great as long as you upgraded the bags. Since then I have upgraded to the jet with the canister. MUCH better, more suction power. The HF DC will handle most of what you will do, you will just need to replace the main switch at some point. It lasted me almost 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom