Dust Collection on a Budget

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I would like to put in a dust collection system, but I have a tight budget and even less space in my shop (garage). Can I just turn on my shop vac and point that at whatever I'm working on? Or, what can be done to improve that relatively cheaply and without taking much space?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

When I started turning I used a shop vac. I took a one gallon milk container, cut the bottom off and jammed the shop vac hose into the top. That became my hood. It actually worked much better than I expected. You can also use a box fan to blow everything away from you.

I'll point out that I didn't use this system long term. I now have a dust collector and an air filtration system in my small shop. The reason is simple: my shop doesn't have good air circulation and all that fine dust is extremely bad for you. Each time I have upgraded my system I have noticed the difference.

stonepecker

A box fan with a furnace filter on helps. Dust masks are cheap also.
I know that Grizzly has their air cleaners on sale a couple times a year. With shipping mine cost me $120.00 (more or less) Harbor Freight has several 'types' of collectors. Really, anything you can do helps.
Turning outside is something a person can do. I would still have a fan blowing off my back to "force" the dust away.

And if your 'collection' system is loud.......be sure to ware hearing protection. (DAMHIKT)

Lucky2

Get a used furnace fan and build your own, there's all kinds of plans on the net on how to do this. It doesn't take up any usable space, you hang it from the ceiling.
Len

corks58

The best thing I ever did in my shop was to move the dust collector outside. Very little noise and freed up a bunch of badly needed space. Took about a day to build the room and run the hose.

JimB

Get a used furnace fan and build your own, there's all kinds of plans on the net on how to do this. It doesn't take up any usable space, you hang it from the ceiling.
Len

That's an air filtration system, not a dust collector. There's a big difference. Dust collection collects the dust at the source (where you are turning) so it isn't in your face. Air filtration circulates and filters the dust particles that are floating in the air that the dust collector didn't get.

Ideally you should have both and the air filtration system would stay on for a while after leaving your shop.

Silver

On a budget ...

The best plan for dust collection is.

1. At source, as close to the workpiece, sander, table saw or tool as possible.

2. Secondary. That's the room filter, usually suspended from the shop roof collecting and recycling air taking out the harmful dusts in the act..

3. Last.. PPE. Should be the last line of defence, make sure you have a suitable dust and fume mask to take out the harmful stuff that you are using in the shop.. Although many use this as a first line of defence and only use face masks.

The best form of masks are the air fed type that are giving a constant stream of filtered air to you mask.

Basically You are best to have the largest vacuum unit you can afford..followed by a PPE mask. Again the best you can afford..

The vacuums unit will take out all the fine particles (PM10's) with the built in filter bag or cartridge.

It would be best to have one that has got a 4" inlet and fit the head as close to your workpiece with the pipework as short as possible.. backed up with PPE.

see the link below of Bill Pentz who in my opinion has done so much reasearch and is still groundbreaking in many areas.

Dust Collection Research - Beginner's Corner

Hope you find the above info helpful.

Last edited:

duncsuss

see the link below of Bill Pentz who in my opinion has done so much reasearch and is still groundbreaking in many areas.

Dust Collection Research - Beginner's Corner

Agree completely -- Bill Pentz's work is excellent and thorough.

It was from his pages that I learned that dust collection is not the same thing as chip collection -- and a vacuum cleaner might be able to lift a bowling ball, but it doesn't do the same thing as a high-volume/low-pressure dust collector.

Rockytime

I hope this not considered cross posting because I posted something similar on Scrollsaw Village. However, I just finished reinstalling my HF DC today. Reinstalled because it was on the garage floor in the way of my wife's car. So it was moved above her car on a shelf. It is inexpensive using the little 13 gallon HF dust collector, 8'X4" PVC, a couple of elbows and a length of Dryer vent flexible tubing. Next thing to do is add a gate for my scroll saw. It really sucks!

Attachments

• 1-20170914_132320.jpg
    1-20170914_132320.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 1-20170914_170145.jpg
    1-20170914_170145.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 154
Top Bottom