Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I have hose adaptors and connectors say to ground because of static electricity. What is the potential? Fire..Explosion..simply precaution? Never considered grounding until I started to use adaptors that have the warning.

Also I'm current using a PSI portable system with a 1 micron bag.
I'm considering adding another vac to a different lathe instead of splitting vac lines. Please suggest a 110v " plug in" portable (floor) compact quality system...possible with an arm(boom) instead of using the big gulp. Will using the DC for pen & stopper blanks.
Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Static is only a comfort problem in a home shop. The zaps are unpleasant. You cannot produce the proper conditions to have a dust explosion with small system. Where you can get a fire is by sucking up metal debris, screws for instance, that hit the impeller and the spark causes a fir. Or you suck up hot embers from a saw cutting wood that is pinching the blade etc.

Terredax

Banned
Any fine dust has the potential of exploding if the conditions are optimal.
Look up the sugar refinery explosion. Yes, sugar exploded and destroyed the building killing and injuring several people.
A dust collector creates static, especially when plastic hoses are used. We ran a bare copper wire on the inside of the hose and attached one end to the machine and the other to the housing of the DC. Then the DC has a ground wire to a water line(since it was easiest to connect to) to complete the ground. We have zero static charge.
Static can wreak havoc with cnc electronics, so we needed to ensure there wasn't any static to cause the problems.

JimB

Depends on what you consider a portable compact system. Mine is portable because it is on wheels and is easily moved but it is almost as tall as me. Or do you mean one of those small ones that can be on the floor or hang on a wall?

There isn't anything wrong with splitting the lines on your current system as long as you have blast gates on each line and the distance to your machines is reasonable.

WriteON

Depends on what you consider a portable compact system. Mine is portable because it is on wheels and is easily moved but it is almost as tall as me. Or do you mean one of those small ones that can be on the floor or hang on a wall?

There isn't anything wrong with splitting the lines on your current system as long as you have blast gates on each line and the distance to your machines is reasonable.

Hi. I did spit/add and blast gate today. Suction is fairly strong. I was thinking of the Fein or Festool but I see they'll more for worksite use. I currently have the PSI on wheels that can be floor mounted. I might replace the bag...it's about 3/4 years old.

Top Bottom