Dust Bubble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

As much resin as I cut up, the dust was becoming unbearable. The garage was constantly coated, and my wife wouldn't even go out there any more.

So I built a dust bubble. Four walls and plastic sheeting all around. The corners are loose and overlapped for easy exit.

I also got new filters for my respirator:biggrin:. I wear it all the time, but I figure the dust concentration just went up in my breathing air. I still need to test fit my dust collector tubing too. But, I know this will be better.

Attachments

• IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 359
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

You should be using a dust collector and and overhead air cleaner. If the dust is so thick that it is coating everything you should also have an enclosed respirator such as a Trend or Triton. The dust is very caustic to your lungs and can cause lung damage.

sbell111

My advice is to tweak your dust collection method. Fine dust should be captured rather then allowed to float in the air.

Fireengines

Here is a good article by a physican and woodworker about dust. The one thing the article failed to metion is the exposure to spores and other biohazards.

jfoh

I made a enclosed box for one of my lathes. It has a dust collector hookup on one end to deal with all the dust. It is a lot like a sand blaster setup. Many of the woods I use are real nasty for dust allergies and this setup keeps all the dust out of my shop. The top and front are plexiglass doors and the front door can be opened in two parts to allow me to turn the blank without allowing too many chips or dust to escape. You need to allow some air into the box to get good dust collection flow.

InvisibleMan

I don't do much with wood any more. I'm so hooked on casting resin, that that's pretty much what I do. Most of the dust is from the bandsaw. Even though I have the dust collector hooked up, there is enough dust escape that over time (probably a few months), I have a thin dusting on the other side of the garage. That's what I want to eliminate. I think this'll work. Plus, it'll hide the standard mess piles that linger around a lathe and bandsaw.

So, respirator, face shield, dust collector and my bubble. Good enough? I have never noticed any discomfort in my lungs or difficulty breathing or anything of that sort. I can't smell curing resin through the respirator either. I pretty much wear it all the time - casting, cutting and turning.

Last edited:

Fireengines

Unless you have some underlining lung disease like Asthma, you will not experience any shortness of breath over a short period of time.

Pneumoconiosis is the result of exposure to dust particle over a long period time. This disease, like most occupational lung diseases develop based on the amount and size of particles you inhale and can't be exhaled.

For the most part, the larger particles, 5-20 microns in size, are filtered by the nose. However, the smaller size particles between 1-7 microns in size may make it to the air sacs or a alveoli level.

The lungs have some pretty cool defense mechanisms! Mucus helps you cough particles out of the body and Cilia, which are microscopic hairs that beat forward help push particles out of the lungs. Finally there are Macrophages that will engulf the particles and digest them (this is why asbestos fibers are so bad, the Macrophages burst when they try to engulf the fiber).

Here are some guidelines that I've come up with that may or may not be best practices to protest yourself:

Wear a high quality mask. I use one that covers you nose and mouth and delivers at least 99.7 percent filtration efficiency against particles. On a side note, some woods still have spores, biohazards, bugs, and contaminates in them;

Keep the mask in a plastic bag outside of your shop. Never keep the mast in the shop exposed;

I would say don't smoke. However, if you smoke, don't do so in the shop. Not only are you inhaling smoke you are inhaling the small particles discussed above;

Wear an apron and never bring it in the living area unless you are going to wash it;

If possible, remove your clothing before entering your living area. Most of the time this is not possible so dust yourself off with your mask on and remove your clothing to be washed in an area so you will not spread dust in your residence;

I am trying to get my hands around filtration and need to do some more research before I purchase a device.

Maybe by follow Respiratory Therapist can chime in here….

Last edited:

LL Woodworks

Very neat setup. However, I would seriously consider an air filtration unit hanging in the shop or dust area (in addition to your other preventive measures).

Top Bottom