A dummies guide to Dividing and gear cutting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all,
Do you remember the drill press I scored from work?
Turns out it needs some TLC so I decided to record my efforts of using a rotary table and the gear cutters, and how I chose them.

Not sure if this will be of any use to anyone, but it may be of interest to some.

The PDF covers the selection of index plates, how they get mounted, how they work and there's a bit on how I chose the cutters etc.

When I get time, I'll follow it up with the actual making of the gears.

Cheers for now. :wink:

Attachments

• Dividing and gear cutting.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 851
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Must admit, think id rather order a new gear offline :biggrin:

Do like dividing heads though..... need a mill.... lol I can see how that conversation is going to go down. May leave the mill until next year!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
While I was cutting the bigger gear, I decided it may be easier just to show the cutting sequence with a short video.

Remember, this gear has 87 teeth and I'm using a 90:1 ratio rotary table so the sums say to use a disc with a ring of 29 holes. I must rotate the crank one full turn plus one extra hole, for each cut.

The video is only a couple of minutes long but took forever to upload....:eek:

Hope it clarifies things even more...:biggrin:

KBs Pensnmore

Thanks for that Steve, the title suits me. I have the same books that you've shown, but they still confused me, your way of explaining it makes it simple. Maths was not my strongest point at school, I used to get Fs which I thought was for Fantastic:eek:, but I found out later was fail.:frown:
I'm studying this to make a larger version of the Pen Wizard.
Thanks again,
Kryn

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for that Steve, the title suits me.
Kryn

LOL Kryn, why do people automatically think the 'dummie' refers to the reader and not the writer??:confused::biggrin:
I've done a couple of the 'Dummies Guides to..' and not once has anyone thought differently.

If you read a book called ' A Doctor's guide to good health' or a 'Mechanic's guide to easy car maintenance' then you would think straight away that the title refers to the author, not the reader.

Sometimes it just takes a Dummy just to put it into simple language ....:biggrin:

Rockytime

While I was cutting the bigger gear, I decided it may be easier just to show the cutting sequence with a short video.

Remember, this gear has 87 teeth and I'm using a 90:1 ratio rotary table so the sums say to use a disc with a ring of 29 holes. I must rotate the crank one full turn plus one extra hole, for each cut.

The video is only a couple of minutes long but took forever to upload....:eek:

Hope it clarifies things even more...:biggrin:

Sigh! I just sold my Bridgeport. Next to go is my 12 inch lathe. At 76 it is time to divest of things. I still have other smaller lathes but not another mill. There will come a time when one has to admit he's getting older. I do so envy your enthusiasm with machining. That used to be my passion. Now I spend my time with pens and things. Love seeing you makin' those chips.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Les, I feel your pain. Getting rid of your friends.....er I mean machines:redface: would break my heart too. .
I have decided that I will keep them all till I kick the bucket. Then my kids can decide if they want any of it...unlikely though. I have recently catalogued all my main decent tools and even some special pens. I have listed suggested realistic prices for it all, so my wife can can flog the lot when I go.

I just took another quick video, that is uploading now. It's just a quick tour of my little shop.....hasn't changed in years..
I'll put a link here when it's done.:biggrin:

Ok, done. Sorry about the background noise. I believe it's from the auto focus when you use a digital camera to make a video. My little shop

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Nice little tour Skippy. Thank you for inviting us to your 'creative' workshop.

Thanks for the video tour, now we know where the great writing instruments come from.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yahoo !!! :biggrin:

My first ever gear fits like a glove !! :eek::biggrin:
Beginners luck??? :confused::biggrin: Maybe.....:wink:

Attachments

• DSCF2759.JPG
    DSCF2759.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 87

SteveG

Yahoo !!! :biggrin:

My first ever gear fits like a glove !! :eek::biggrin:
Beginners luck??? :confused::biggrin: Maybe.....:wink
:

Hmmm...
And I thought it was a pen that happened to look like a gear! :eek::rolleyes:

Congrats on this new endeavor, and for the record, I would have expected nothing less than complete success. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks great Skip. Bet you're having more fun restoring than you will using.

Ha !!! You know me too well Bruce !! :wink:

During the boring cutting, I figured another use for my new learnt skill....I have an Ornamental Lathe and this will be a great way of making accurate rosettes. I have struggled so far to make really accurate ones....

I have just done another quick short vid with the final gear and it has a tip about backlash. Will load soon...:wink:

Ok, last video I promise...done

Last edited:

bluwolf

Nice job Skip. Very well explained in the PDF and the videos were great too. It's one thing to be able to do that. It's just as impressive to be able to teach it in a way that others can understand. Well done!

Mike

Top Bottom