Drum Sander Opinions Wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have decided that my next tool purchase is going to be a drum sander. I am kind of torn between a couple of sanders and would like opinions of those who have one, or the other, or another brand that they might recommend.

JET

GRIZZLY 10"

GRIZZLY 12"

Many thanks for any ideas or thoughts!

Dan

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Woodmaster is american made. Does performax still make them or were they bought out

tkbarron

I have a Performax 10-20 which is the same as the Jet model and chose it over the Grizzly models simply because it can handle smaller material, i.e. pen blanks and knife scales. What do you intend to use a sander for?

Tom

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Woodmaster is american made. Does performax still make them or were they bought out

Not sure what you are asking, Mike! Woodmaster is made in Kansas City by the same company that makes Timberking sawmills and, as far as I know, has made them themselves for years. I have a Woodmaster and a Timberking and have talked with the owner many times.

I also have a Performax 2244 Pro. Performax used to be its own company and then was bought out by the same folks that own Jet. Not sure if they are still the same company or not as the Jet line has changed hands recently.

For a drum sander, you can't go wrong with a Performax. Mine has worked flawlessly for 12 or so years and I bought it used.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I just did a little digging, just for the heck of it, and found that Jet is still owned by the same company but they changed their name from WMH Tool Group to Walter Meier Manufacturing America. They are a Swiss company and also own Powermatic and Wilton brands. It looks like they sold the right to the Performax closed end machines to SuperMax. SuperMax claims to be the only American Made drum sander. Walter Meier Manufacturing still makes the old Performax open end sanders but it looks like they ditched the Performax name in favor of calling them Jet sanders.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a 24 in performax and just sold the 38in Wood master. Your right my question doesnt read well. I thought I had come across the information that Performax was bought out and discontinued. I liked the woodmaster but I had not had a need for that big of a drum sander in years.

jttheclockman

I thought we just had this same discussion. Maybe it was on another forum. I get mixed up these days.

I have the Performax 16/32. One of the first when then just came out and love it. I can not do what I do without it. I highly recomend it whatever they call it these days. I also recomend buying the sandpaper in bulk rolls and cut your own. Saves $$$$. Also buy one of those big erasers.

One thing to be warned about and that is have a dust collection system even if it is just a 2" shop vac hose. If using a shop vac be sure to have a hepa filter or one that vacs alot better than the supplied one. They do throw some dust around. I have a air cleaner set up also and it runs constantly while in use and also for 1 hour after. even if I leave the shop. They are dust makers.

Dick Mahany

Jet Performax

I've had a Jet Performax 2244 drum sander for about 5 years now. Good machine but larger than I wanted at first. ( I wanted a smaller unit, but got an incredible deal from a local supplier that was downsizing )

Jet is long time owned by WMH holding and has quality products. They bought the "Performax" name a number of years back, hence the name Jet Performax.

I use mine for veneer thicknessing typically on QSWO for Craftsman / Greene & Greene table legs where I want to see the ray flecks on all faces of the legs. The machine will easily sand to less than 0.060" and is well built. It also is available in smaller sizes 16-32, 10-20, but I have no experience with them. I have not heard any bad things about the Grizzly units.

Depending on what you want to do with this kind of tool it can be very handy or a PITA. They are not a substitute for thickness planers, but do their intended jobs well.

Feel free to PM me and I can share more experiences if it would help.

jfoh

I have a 10/20 and am very happy with it. I use it to make insert parts match the exact thickness or a saw kerf for in-letting. The book will give you a thickness of 1/8" or so as the min. thickness. I have made insert down to 1/16" or less. Watch on EBay and Craigslist. I found mine on Craiglist for less than half price. Bought sanding belts on EBay well below wholesale. Be patient and a bargain will come your way if you have cash in hand.

pinelumber

drum sander

I bought 2 New Palmgren 18" drum sanders last fall for $550 each. The guy is in Chicago I am in the Detroit area. He met me 1/2 way The other person who bought the other loves his as much as I do. It is the exact same as the Grizzly 18" All parts interchange His Phone number is 1 773 329 1296. He was easy to deal with. Let me know if it works out.

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Mike D

I have the Jet 16/32 that I bought new a couple of years ago and I absolutely love it. The price now has doubled from what I paid for it. You can't go wrong with the Jet, well built and easy to change paper just make sure you get the inside release tool or it's a pain to release the clamp.

pinelumber

Drum Sander

Last fall I bought 2 Palmgren 18" drum Sanders The company is in Chicago. I think they went BK. They are the same as the Grizzly 18"? All parts interchange. The other person who bought the other one loves his as much as I love mine. The phone number is 1 773 329 1296. He met me 1/2 way he is in Chicago I live in the Detroit area. Let me know how it works out.

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

gbpens

I also have the JET 16/32 and changing paper is fairly easy. I use to level thin (.06) for segmenting. Have not had any problems with it.

Top Bottom