Drum sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymiller

I've been looking at drum sanders here recently. Does anyone here have one if so what type. I have been recently looking at the Grizzly 12" model.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWK5150

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />I have a Performax 16-32 which is quite handy. The newest ShopNotes has a build it yourself 16" model the looks pretty good.

Jim,
Have you had any problems or anything with the 16-32? Im actually looking at buying one right now.

M

Mudder

I have the performax 10-20 and it's a really nice machine. It's small enough to work on a benchtop and big enough to do most everything I need to do with it. Came to me for a price I could not pass up and I have no regrets.

I also have the Performex 16-32.

In my opinion it is great for anything under 15" in width.

I have sanded some wide door panels on it and I have never been happy with the results.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I also have the Performex 16-32.

I have sanded some wide door panels on it and I have never been happy with the results.

Ron,

I know your pain. I sanded some 18" panels when I first got mine and it took me about 4 hours of fiddling before I finally got the adjustments just right. Somewhere I have a link on how to adjust the machine. I'll post it if I find it.

&lt;edit&gt; http://www.joewoodworker.com/performax.htm

Here is a link to build one: http://www.mimf.com/archives/thickness_sander2.htm

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />

Ron,

I know your pain. I sanded some 18" panels when I first got mine and it took me about 4 hours of fiddling before I finally got the adjustments just right. Somewhere I have a link on how to adjust the machine. I'll post it if I find it.

Here is a link to build one: http://www.mimf.com/archives/thickness_sander2.htm

I actually read the instructions and got it adjusted really good[:D] The only thing that is bad is it is sometimes a pia to get the paper clipped in the clamp on the motor side of the drum.

terrymiller

Come on guys when I ask about a Craftsmen you tell me about a Grizzly, when I ask about a Grizzly you tell me about a Performax. Just kidding. Sounds like I need to take a look at the Performax a little bit more. I had just seen the Grizzly 12 at a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone had one or any comments or opinions about it. I know quite a few members really like the Grizzly line and thought I might get more realistic input than just reading the product brochure.

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />

Ron,

Thanks Mudder,
I remember that link when I first setup my sander a few years ago. I got it dang close, but I was never happy with sanding cross grain,

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />Come on guys when I ask about a Craftsmen you tell me about a Grizzly, when I ask about a Grizzly you tell me about a Performax. Just kidding. Sounds like I need to take a look at the Performax a little bit more. I had just seen the Grizzly 12 at a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone had one or any comments or opinions about it. I know quite a few members really like the Grizzly line and thought I might get more realistic input than just reading the product brochure.

Terry, whenever I spend over about $25.00 I shop and compare values. For the most part those comparisons lead to Grizzly tools. For the dollar value, other brands usually can't come close. There are some downsides. They will use some strange sizes (like the 1X12 spindle in my lathe) and we are sending our money to China. I hate that. But first we must be loyal to our own pocketbooks. The guy that owns Grizzly has an unbeatable forumula for selling tools. Quality, value, price. He is American and supports good American values to, so that takes away some of the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom