drilling perpendicular holes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

needastick

I'm sure the method in this photo will be familiar to most of you but a quick search didn't produce any hits.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=164254&stc=1&d=1495877036

Seems a quick and easy method of drilling accurately down the centre if you have the tools to hand.

When doing this for my latest set of tubes I found the recommended drill size far too loose and reduced it correspondingly.

With regards, Tony.

Attachments

• DSCF5915-640x640.JPG
    DSCF5915-640x640.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Tool envy :tongue:

Drill press is on my wish list. Drilling on the lathe works pretty good for me, but a little time consuming.

Woodchipper

Here's what I have used recently when my lathe had a problem. It shows a Forstner bit but I used the pen drilling bits. I put the blank in the jig and secured it with a small C clamp. Drilled it to the depth and then have to raise it up as the DP doesn't have enough travel to drill on one operation. I built it to drill cork rings for fishing rods.

Attachments

• Inletting Jig.jpg
    Inletting Jig.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

KenV

Tony, practical application for what appears to be an elderly 4 jaw chuck. The independent jaw adjustment can be a blessing/curse, depending on how regular your blanks are.

I trust you have trammed the table and checked the chuck for runout if you are getting consistent oversize holes.

Charlie_W

That 4 jaw chuck makes for a solid blank vise!
I normally try to drill ten thousandths larger than the tube for glue and paint.

Top Bottom