TomServo

Just looking for advice; My shop is of extremely limited size, (it's in
the livingroom of my apartment!) and I'd rather spend what space I do
have with a small band saw.. I have a Taig metalworking lathe,
and I saw that HUT sells a jig for drilling blanks with my lathe... my
question is, should I spend the $20 on the jig, or use the milling vice
(vertical cross-slide)? I guess my question, is more, has anyone used
their lathe drilling jig, and was it worth it? it looks the same as
their drill press jig, except with holes to bolt it to the cross-slide..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Tom I have a small Sherline lathe that I turn pens on. I think it's the same kinda lathe you are talking about. Most of these lathes would not have the horse power to turn some of the bigger drill bits required for some kits. So even though I really like my lathe I do not think it would drill big stock.
Just one man's thought.

chigdon

I think you are going to have a hard time not having a drill press as well. Strangely enough sometimes a floorstanding drill press with a rolling base is easier -- you can move it out of the way and it doesn't permanently take up precious bench space.

KenV

I also use Taig lathes - one for wood and one for metal. I went to the Hut page and I saw a wood holding vise that sits on the tail stock. Presumably one holds the blank in the vise with one hand and turns the carriage advance wheel with one hand and handles the power switches with the other hand (don't all turners have 3 hands?)

I do drill in the lathes but secure the wood blank in a chuck and assure the blank is centered. I then advance the tail stock with a drill pit mounted in a drill chuck on the tail stock ram.

Best is with the Taig 4 jaw chuck, but a one-way talon chuck works too. You should be looking at a 1/2 or 5/8 inch chuck on the ram.

Ken in Juneau

KenV

I also use Taig lathes - one for wood and one for metal. I went to the Hut page and I saw a wood holding vise that sits on the tail stock. Presumably one holds the blank in the vise with one hand and turns the carriage advance wheel with one hand and handles the power switches with the other hand (don't all turners have 3 hands?)

I do drill in the lathes but secure the wood blank in a chuck and assure the blank is centered. I then advance the tail stock with a drill pit mounted in a drill chuck on the tail stock ram.

Best is with the Taig 4 jaw chuck, but a one-way talon chuck works too. You should be looking at a 1/2 or 5/8 inch chuck on the ram.

Ken in Juneau

TomServo

Ken: I'll try it in my 4 jaw chuck; i only have a 1/4" tailstock chuck, but what i'll do is go get a 3/8" bit locally and turn down the shaft to fit in my 1/4" chuck - then I can ream it out with my hand drill and the "V" bit. I keep a power strip at my feet for a "no hands" power solution... I may not have 3 hands, but I have two hands and two feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom