Drilling into billiard balls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I want to drill a 1/2" wide hole about 1/2 through. Question is how to chuck a billiard ball safely. Would use the Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck from PSI. Would chuck tight enough to secure ball without over tightening and leaving marks.
Would use duct tape around the 2 jaws and ball to secure. Does this sound reasonable or I'm I setting myself for an unsafe Mickey Mouse kind of improvisation.
I will add a small base to the drilled ball and use it for a desk top pen holder/stand. Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TLTHW

we drill them in a 3 jaw chuck on a metal lathe using a center drill to start. I would use a forstner bit to drill the hole or at least to create a flat that your drill bit would not slide off of.
We have also drilled them on a drill press with a vice. There I used an end mill to create the flat before drilling through.

Charlie_W

Last year, I made a quick sphere chuck so I could drill and also, turn the foot on a sphere.
Notice the internal recess to hold the sphere in place. I brought the tail stock up to pinpoint the correct location center which I had decided upon.
I used the twisted wire as a clamp to avoid the lug and band of the hose clamp.
Since I was clamping a sanded sphere, I packed a rag in behind the sphere and used the hole in the back on the Dovetail side to slide a dowel through against the rag so I would not damage the sanded sphere as I pushed it out.

This was for a desk pen base. I drilled for the pen nib, flared the drilled hole accordingly, remounted the sphere to turn the foot in a location to give the proper angle for the pen when in the base.

Good luck on your quest!

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_5723.jpg
    IMG_5723.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 150

KenV

If you have smaller spigot jaws, they work well with masking tape around the midline of the ball. Center bit starting is helpful.

The balls will scratch, so the masking tape drops the risk.

Sharp bits and light pressure.

WriteON

If you have smaller spigot jaws, they work well with masking tape around the midline of the ball. Center bit starting is helpful.

The balls will scratch, so the masking tape drops the risk.

Sharp bits and light pressure.

No spigot jaws on board.
I will practice on a few 2nd hand balls. Someday I might work on a pool cue pen....the pen/stand will make a great combo.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

If you have a tap that is the size of your spindle threads, take Charlie W's method and make a "chuck" that fits the lathe. One difference I would do is make the outside at a slight taper, and make a ring that will cause the "fingers" of the chuck to tighten as it is pushed on to the "chuck". Then you won't need the wire to clamp it, and the ring won't bust your knuckles.

Gunnarkouper

Passed Away Sep 21, 2018
In Memoriam
Pool Ball drilling

I have drilled many pool balls using a PSI pen blank jaws covered with about three layers of duck tape, and no pilot hole. The trick is to get the pool ball on the correct axis so it stands straight and not crooked. May have to chuck several times to adjust ball in jaws.
Once you get through the outer surface of the ball the center is relatively soft. Just take your time.
No problems.
Used for Bottle Stoppers.
Good luck.

WriteON

I have drilled many pool balls using a PSI pen blank jaws covered with about three layers of duck tape, and no pilot hole. The trick is to get the pool ball on the correct axis so it stands straight and not crooked. May have to chuck several times to adjust ball in jaws.
Once you get through the outer surface of the ball the center is relatively soft. Just take your time.
No problems.
Used for Bottle Stoppers.
Good luck.

I have drilled many pool balls using a PSI pen blank jaws covered with about three layers of duck tape

That is exactly what I have in mind. Ball does not have to positioned a 100%. Do you drill a pilot hole and enlarge or just go for it.

I read and replied too fast...I see No Pilot Hole.
Is there a way to delete or edit posts.???

WriteON

Where are you getting the billiard balls? Buying cheap sets. Buying used sets?
Maybe I'll use a few my Centennials or Skittles :biggrin:

WriteON

Worked out nice and easy. Balls are cheap plastic. About $29 a set of 16. Drilling went smoothly... My pool buddies are in for a treat.
Base on cueball is a cut off from a bottle stopper. Pen is a Schrade tactical pen.
I used this holder ...put a piece of cardboard on each side of ball...snugged up to hold firmly.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7115.jpg
    IMG_7115.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Vise.jpg
    Vise.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Top Bottom