Drilling Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Docusn

I am a newbie so please excuse if I posted this in the wrong place or am stepping on another thread.

I have a Sears Model drill press that only allows a 2" depth-of-hole. Obviously that creates problems when drilling pen blanks as most I have seen are around 4-5" long. I can drill the first part and periodically pull back the drill to clear the wood chips, BUT, once I pass that depth, I have to stop the press, adjust the support table to allow the bit to bottom out in the hole, and then drill some more.

And this is where I get the blow-out. I can't clear the chips after re-positioning the drill table.

Or is there a better way using my lathe as a drill? And if so, what do I need to purchase? I have the 12" lathe from Penn State Industries.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

Woodchipper

Docusn, I do exactly what you do but my Delta DP has a longer travel but still have to raise the table. Tried drilling on the lathe and it didn't work out.
Check the video on Exotic Blanks for a good way to drill.

randyrls

Mark; This article in the Wiki details how to drill a blank. It is a kind of "Best practices".
You might want to get a 1" or 1-1/2" thick piece of wood to put under whatever you use to hold the blank. Make sure it is flat and level. Turn the drill press OFF. Prop the blank up and drill the finishing part of the hole. Another option is to insert the drill bit all the way into the chuck, and after extending all the way re-position the bit in the chuck so it sticks out further.

Hope this helps, and Welcome.

Top Bottom