Drill Press Vice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hblaisdell

I am looking for some sort of vice for my drill press. I know that PSI, Rockler, etc. have what they call drill press vices. I also know there are a lot of other type vices (Cross Slide, etc). Most of the pens I make use deer or elk antler for the covering. I am mentioning that because that may have something to do with the selection.
My question is does someone have an idea of what would be the best vice to purchase? My current hand made vice is in very bad shape.

Harold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Harold; I find a centering vice with a v groove is the best for drilling antlers. Horns are very seldom large enough or straight enough to drill stright on. With a centering vice you can slant or wedge your horn enough to drill through the center. This, however, is the way I drill my antlers. I place my tube in a section that is long enough and wide enough for the pen I am making. Cut your blanks a little longer. Next I place the tube on the ends on each section and mark the center of the antler with enough room to allow for the thickness of the barrel. Center to center will most likely not be a straight line. After marking a square around my center circle, I take my blank to the band and cut a slightly larger square on the end of the blank. Do this on the thicker end of the antler and you will be able to slide the blank farther into your lathe mounted blank holder. Install a centering drill into your tail stock and move it to the center point on the other end of your blank. You may have to reset your holder to match up the centers. Drill a centering hole and than follow with the correct size bit. This method will give you a straight hole from center to center. I don't worry if some rough spots or hollows are left after turning, as they add to the overall look of the pen, and can be filled in with CA. Here is one I did for myself yesterday with dips. valleys, and rough spots filled in. Unfortunately I never had a chance to use it, as my wife claimed it as NEW PEN of the month when I showed it to her. It's was a PSI Southweast Twist in Antique Pewter, with White Tailed Deer antlers, and a CA finish. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0119 (800x238).jpg
    DSCF0119 (800x238).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF0120 (800x207).jpg
    DSCF0120 (800x207).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF0118 (800x238).jpg
    DSCF0118 (800x238).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Fay Prozora

I have a nice drill press vice and love it for those odd shaped things that need a hole drilled into. I used to use mine for drilling the hole in my pen blanks but now that I have the Jacobs chuck, I drill them on my lath instead. If you use a drill press vice to drill a hole, put a small piece of scrap wood on it before putting the pen blank in it to drill. It'll save your drill bit.. ask me how?? I drilled too far and it hit the screw thing in the press and ruined the tip to the drill bit.... Now I just use my lathe and a chuck in the head stock and the Jacobs in the tail stock... Works great... Fay

flyitfast

Before I drill antler sections, I turn them round between centers. It is very easy to line up the center of the antler, which possibly means that you are turning it off center.
This way you can allow for showing a bit of "skin" if you want to.
It can then be drilled centered in a vise, although I prefer to drill on the lathe. I try to turn the antler to a size that can be drilled using a Beall chuck or a pen jaws chuck.
Man, I wish they didn't smell so bad.
gordon

Fish30114

I couldn't get that link to work you posted Harold, but I second the Palmgren cross slide vises. They are good kit. Be careful which one you pick though, the 6" capacity is a big sucker, It's proved too big for my jet 14" bench drill press. I think it will fit good on the big Powermatic floor drill press I'm planning on.

Top Bottom