Drill press jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muzzy17is

Looking for ideas for a jig for my drill press for drilling pen and game call blanks. My drill press is a cheap one and doesn't have the side crank for raising and lowering the table so I'm trying to come up with a jig that will compensate for this as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I'm partial to one of these :biggrin:

Attachments

• vises.jpg
    vises.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 293

jttheclockman

Looking for ideas for a jig for my drill press for drilling pen and game call blanks. My drill press is a cheap one and doesn't have the side crank for raising and lowering the table so I'm trying to come up with a jig that will compensate for this as well.

Are you saying the drill press has no way to raise or lower a table and it is fixed. Does the motor raise up and down??? I have never seen a drill press that is fixed based. Would love to see a photo. Then maybe we can go from there.:)

chartle

I'm going to assume that you have one like mine where the table uses a clamp to position the height not a crank.

I know what you are talking about I just use the base for when I use long pen bits and then just extend the bit to complete the hole but for when I use my shorter bits I just lift the jig and slide a board underneath.

Last edited:

chartle

As for a jig I first used two pieces of hinged 2x4 with a square hole in the middle to hold the blank. I now have a drill press vise with some custom jaws.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When I first started making pens, I made a simple jig similar to this one. I later got a pen blank vise, but I still use the jig for larger blanks like stoppers and such.

Pen-Blank Drilling Jig

Muzzy17is

I'm going to assume that you have one like mine where the table uses a clamp to position the height not a crank.

I know what you are talking about I just use the base for when I use long pen bits and then just extend the bit to complete the hole but for when I use my shorter bits I just lift the jig and slide a board underneath.

Yes, that's the way mine works. It's a cheap Harbor Freight table top model. I'm gonna make a better work surface for it and incorporate my jig into the table.

PenPal

I use an X-Y axis movement vice fitted with prismatic jaws served me handsomely for twenty years of thousands of blanks. I can drill crazy cut blanks and so forth I switch the drill on and drill sometimes hundreds always using DeWalt drill point drills that give me many hundreds of uses cheap as chips overall.I have drilled at a session many hunderds of 1/2 inch Corian, took me a day to tune the gibbs etc for firmness and squaring up the vice and drill movements.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004-103.JPG
    DSCF0004-103.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 201

JimB

Paul makes those and sells them. There are a number of people on IAP that bought them from him and are extremely happy with them. You may want to PM him for information.

Note: I do not own one and am not promoting these for him. Just repeating what I have read on here.

Top Bottom