Drill Press Help Needed...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
After picking up my 17" Cruftsman drill (with lazer beams!), I have finally gotten help with assembly. (That drill head is *heavy*.)

Now, I am having a challenge seating the chuck/taper into the drill... the fun step where you hold a block of wood where a drill bit would go (after retracting the chuck hands) and pound the chuck up into the drill motor. It just seems to "bounce" back out at each step.

Re-reading the fine manual gives no input. Arrgh. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bud duffy

Does the taper have a small section on the end that is not round but has two flats? If so that has to be lined up inside the head to seat the rest of the way.

Hope this helps

Bud

Rifleman1776

Bud has it right. Turn a quarter turn until you feel it 'seat'. But, first clean male taper with light oil. Do wipe off. Also run a rag up into the female taper and clean also. Get out any machining dregs or other dirt. When you tap (pound [:0] ) on the chuck to seat, be sure to have the jaws fully retracted or you will damage them.

Thanks for the advice. I believe that I have it set properly.

I did the following:
  • Cleaned the male and female tapers<br />
  • Chilled the male taper & chuck in the freezer to contract it.<br />
  • Slid it in place and let it expand.<br />

Placing the chilled chuck/taper on a piece of wood on the table *in* the drill itself (ratcheted to the right height) worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom