Drill Press ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

I have been looking at drill presses so much they all look the same to me anymore. Today I found a retailer with the Jet 16 1/2 model #JDP-17FSE for 299.00. I don't know anything about drill presses and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

I have also been looking at the Delta at Lowes Model: 17-950L. I am limited to just under $400 dollars. The wife says I have spent enough this month.

Weighed my options on drill press or drilling with the lathe, getting a chuck and all the other stuff. I feel the press with be better for me right now since I can use it for other things also. Any help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Dustin:

Don't know much about the Jet drill press but I do have a Jet midi lathe and am very happy with it quality. I do have a Delta bench top drill press and am not so happy with its quality.

Based on my experience with those two tools I would favor the Jet brand for quality if all other specs are equal.

rhahnfl

I have a Delta benchtop as well as a new Steel City 17". I wish I would just have waited 'til I had the money for the Steel City. You just can't believe how that extra long spindle stroke spoils you. It really comes in handy in not having to constantly readjust your centering jig just because you changed styles or went from drilling to milling the ends. I know the feeling of being antsy to get started...your drill and lathe are your major players and if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't scrimp on either. Just my opinion.

GBusardo

A drill press will always come in handy for so many different projects. I am not in the market for one, so I haven't shoppped around, but I can't see you going wrong with that Jet for 300 bucks.

IPD_Mrs

Dustin,
We have the 15" Jet and just bought the Craftman 17". The Jet (at least on the 15") has a minor design flaw on the depth stop. The thumbs screws when moved all of the way to the top slightly rub on the side. This does not effect preformance, it has just rubbed off a little paint. Fresh out of the box the Jet had some very minor wabble in the quill. This does not effect drilling blanks at all, in fact I would say the difference in the diameter of a 10mm hole between it and the Craftman is in the .001 range. Some of the things that I really like about this press is the deck is well milled and adjust easily height wise. (very smooth unlike the craftsman) The belt housing is well made and helps to reduce noise as there is a gasket in the lid that keeps dust off of the pulley and belts as well. Changing speeds is a snap and was a big plus for us as we change speeds frequently.

The price you gave on the Jet is very good at $299. I would buy the Jet in a heartbeat with a $400 budget. You have a little left over for some assecories such as a bit tray/part tray which we use all of the time. We keep a spare wrench on ours for adjusting toggle heights for the clamps on a few of our jigs, as well as a nut driver for taking the dust collection hose on and off. It is also great for setting blanks on if you are drilling multiples at once. Anything left over should go towards some Norseman drill bits![:p]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cowchaser
<br />Any last minute advice before I go out today to start looking and possibly purchase?

Do, at least, consider the Grizzly's. They have six models in the $200.00 to $250.00 price range.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=380000
I have the G7943 bench model but do wish I had gotten the, otherwise identical, G7944 floor model. Floor models don't take any more footprint space and are much more versatile.

jacurl

I have the Jet 16 1/2, and I also had drift issue. I would look at
other options. The drill press is OK, but if I were buying again, I
would do some more due diligence. The drift problem did cause issues
with drilling blanks.

Joe

cowchaser

Well I got a drill press. Went to Lowes to do one last comparison of the Delta and Jet. After reading some bad reviews against the Jet and nothing, but praise of the Delta I really wanted the Delta. Looked it over and called the manager over. I explained to him the price difference of the 2 and told him the Jet had a larger motor. I explained I would rather buy in his store compare to a competitor. After some debate back and forth I talked him into 309.00 down from 369.00, only 10 dollars more than the Jet. I felt I got a good deal and am now the proud owner of a Delta 17-950L 16 1/2". Any comments good or bad are welcomed. [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom