Drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdog

What stroke length do I want in a drill press? Is the 3 1/8" stroke good for pens? I have a small Delta, but the stroke on it is just over 2 inches.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gordon, 3 1/8 should be fine. I got a Hitachi drill press on sale at Lowe's (too lazy to go look up the model #). It is a floor model and I absolutely love it. Be sure to get one with everything bigger (so to speak) than you need at present. It is always better to grow into a machine than out grow it. Unused machines stick out like a sore thumb in a workshop. DAMHIKT! [;)]

Fangar

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />I wish my plain old Ryobi did what I needed it to. [:D] I have to move the table up on some blanks and I don't like it. Other than that, it does just fine.

Billy,

Have you tried moving the blank up in the vice, instead of the whole table? Just a thought. I have the same press and experience the same issue.

Fangar

Randy_

When my drill reached the end of its travel, I just stop and put a piece of scrap wood under the vise. I've got one of those inexpensive benchtop units with only a 2" quill travel. Wish I had bought a better one!!

BTW, the piece of scrap needs to be very flat and with both sides parallel. I think it is about 1" thick.

BogBean

Billy,

Have you tried moving the blank up in the vice, instead of the whole table? Just a thought. I have the same press and experience the same issue.
Fangar
[/quote]

This is what I do and it works fine now if I could just learn to hit the center of the blank...:)

Rifleman1776

My vices are always clamped to the table, both for pens and the larger bore duck calls. I raise the table when/if needed. The bit, with power off, is left about 1/8" in the blank. I find this is the most accurate way to drill holes too deep for the press.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by gdog
<br />What stroke length do I want in a drill press? Is the 3 1/8" stroke good for pens? I have a small Delta, but the stroke on it is just over 2 inches.

Gentlemen, quit with the suggestions on how to use a small drill press!! Gordon wants to buy a POWER TOOL!! It is a violation of the guy code to stop anyone who wants to buy a power tool, and I expect this nonsense to stop immediately. [;)][:D][;)]

Fangar

Originally posted by wdcav1952
Gentlemen, quit with the suggestions on how to use a small drill press!! Gordon wants to buy a POWER TOOL!! It is a violation of the guy code to stop anyone who wants to buy a power tool, and I expect this nonsense to stop immediately. [;)][:D][;)]

[:D]

Or drill on the lathe....

Fangar

BogBean

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by gdog
<br />What stroke length do I want in a drill press? Is the 3 1/8" stroke good for pens? I have a small Delta, but the stroke on it is just over 2 inches.

Why should we quit? We put the info out there just to let people know that do not have to have a floor model or pay a lot of money for a long stroke drill press...

wdcav1952

Chuck,

I'm sorry, but you have the sense of humor of a turnip. I was joking. A clue is the funny face thingy. This is one of them. [:D] In the future I will try to make my humor more easily understood. [:eek:)] (The clown thingy also indicates humor.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom