Drill Doctor to X or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I have decided it's time for a drill bit sharpener. After reading comments on this forum I am leaning towards a Drill Doctor 750. Of course, as I start looking I see there is an 750 and a 750X. Does anyone know what the differences are? I am assuming the 750X is the current model, since that is what is shown on the Drill Doctor website. Is the X an improvement or a cost reduction? I see both on fleabay.

TIA, Carl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

The 750X comes with a second chuck that allows you to sharpen larger bits up to .75 inch. The 750 only has one chuck that can go up to .5 inch.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't really 'need' one of them as I'm ok with a grinder. But the only reason I hang around this place is cos Jeff donates one to the prize drawing each bash time.......now it would've been cheaper to buy six of them by now but one year I WILL WIN one.:biggrin: The only bugbear to these is the cost of replacement wheels. I believe they are easy to wreck while you learn how to use it.
Jokes aside, if you don't have money to burn, then try one of the grinding attachments. They are pretty easy to use and I did a quick tutorial on how to use one, in the library. One of these days, I'll do a quick video....:wink:

plano_harry

Carl, the 750 is way different and has been discontinued. They don't even look alike. The 750x only has one chuck, but it covers 3/32 up to 3/4. It will also split tips. I don't think the 750 offered that.

carlmorrell

I do have an drill sharpening attachment for my grinding wheel. I was pretty good at screwing up drill bits with it. Perhaps I was not willing to invest in getting good with it. I was assuming getting a drill doctor was idiot proof. Am I wrong in that assumption?

RE Drill Doctor

This is a product of Darex Corporation. They make industrial drill bit sharpeners. I used one for many years, a very well made product!

The Drill Doctor machines by Darex are a mass market, homeowner, hobbyist, DIY'er, small business device. For the money you can't beat them. I've owned one since they were first on the market. They're accurate and sure beat doing it by hand for 99% of us. The first few dozen drills you sharpen pays for the machine in replacement costs.

Charlie

monstersdad99

I got my start in the engineering field working for the Drill Doctor. I actually started on the production line and worked my way up to drafting and designing. I haven't worked there in years so I can't really say much about the newer models. But if you can find a used one on Craigslist I would buy it if you are looking for a great drill sharpening machine. I would inspect the wheel for warn spots first. If it does have worn spots on it it is easy to flip the wheel around. The sharpening is done on the lower half of the grinding wheel and it will sharpen approximately 200 dull 1/2" bits. More if you are sharpening smaller bits. The only difference between the 500 and 750 was the 750 came with a chuck that would sharpen 1/2" to 3/4" bits. On both models you could split the point. The only model that you couldn't split the point was the 250 and you couldn't change the wheel unless you new how to take the machine apart.

Jim Burr

Banned
I picked one up on CL a couple weeks ago. What was advertised as a 400 series was a 750 with two chucks for less than 3-4 Sierra kits. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.

jj9ball

The boss (wife) bought me one last year. They are awesome. I used to buy new drill bits (common pen sizes 3/8, 10mm, 10.5, 12.5, etc) every few months as they got dull. Now I never need to replace them. I just resharpen them and the split feature on it is awesome. If you have the chance it is money well spent. It is probably one of the only tools (besides my lathe) that I can honestly say paid for itself. Just my 2 cents.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really 'need' one of them as I'm ok with a grinder. But the only reason I hang around this place is cos Jeff donates one to the prize drawing each bash time.......now it would've been cheaper to buy six of them by now but one year I WILL WIN one.:biggrin: The only bugbear to these is the cost of replacement wheels. I believe they are easy to wreck while you learn how to use it.
Jokes aside, if you don't have money to burn, then try one of the grinding attachments. They are pretty easy to use and I did a quick tutorial on how to use one, in the library. One of these days, I'll do a quick video....:wink:

If you win one, I'll send you TWO replacement wheels :biggrin:

Top Bottom