Drill Doctor Aid from Darex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I called Darex (manufacturer or distributor of the Drill Doctor) for some guidance on sharpening my larger diameter drill bits. The tech rep, Taffy (yes, that is her name..like the candy) is always very nice. She talked me through the steps and also provided me with the attached aid which includes some excellent photos. I am sure many of you have much more experience than I do with sharpening bits (and the Drill Doctor), but given my limited experience, I found this helpful. It has saved me a lot of extra work and wasted material.

Wayne, mods..if this is something that you would like to add to the library, I would be happy to seek Darex's express permission.

Happy Drilling!

Attachments

• Drill Doctor Aid.pdf
    481.8 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

That's a nice little aid for using the DD. The first time I used mine I was confused reading the instructions. Then I watched a couple videos, YouTube, and the light bulb in my head turned on. The DD is a great tool!

keithncsu

Thanks for this Tony! I just recently found a great eBay deal on one of these and snagged it. I read the directions that came with it and successfully sharpened a dull bit I needed to use. After reading this however, I want to go back and verify I was actually doing it correctly.

TonyL

I learned that it was taking me so long because I had it adjusted wrong. I was getting it sharp, just wasting material and time. Glad it is helping some.

TonyL

Here's better one from Darex. This includes the splitting.

When asking their permission to publish, they improved the first one that they sent me.

Here is one that includes splitting the point.

They did give us permission to publish BTW.

Attachments

• DD750X- Drill Doctor Help.docx
    104.6 KB · Views: 204

SteveG

Tony, this is great info. TY for sharing. I think the following will add to your thread, not hijack it:

A question: Does anyone have a preference for 118* or 135* point angle, BASED ON ACTUAL EXPERIENCE (Not just "What I do...it seems to work")? The reasoning behind your answer will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Tony! Now I have a copy to check real quick. I have to re-learn this about every other year when I sharpen a whole load of bits in one day. The PDF is much better than the booklet/instructions.

Thanks again!

TonyL

Taffy, the Darex rep, said she composed this because she thought the instructions were confusing.She also said (just repeating what she said), that 135 degree bits should bit split.

walshjp17

When asking their permission to publish, they improved the first one that they sent me.

Tony,

When I downloaded this to my Mac, all I got was gibberish (well, machine code or something like that). Could you create a pdf of your docx file and then post that?

Thanks,

jpw

zaqdesigns

Tony,

When I downloaded this to my Mac, all I got was gibberish (well, machine code or something like that). Could you create a pdf of your docx file and then post that?

Thanks,

jpw

I'm a book designer and do a lot of MS doc conversions... so I totally understand the frustration. Here's the PDF version. Hope it helps. :)

Attachments

• DD750X- Drill Doctor Help.pdf
    148.8 KB · Views: 224

TonyL

Thank you..I was so eager to get the improved copy out that I didn't convert it. Thanks for taking care of that.

zaqdesigns

Thank you..I was so eager to get the improved copy out that I didn't convert it. Thanks for taking care of that.

No problem at all, Tony. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but wanted to help. Let me know if there's anything I can do with Doc to PDF issues and will be happy to convert file formats.

steamshovel

I know this has never happened to any of you so here goes. Several years ago I bought a Drill doctor and put it in my shop, well time flies and yesterday I thought to my self, time to sharpen some bits. I finally found it but I put the manual some where else. I went online to drill Doctor and asked their customer support if they had a video so I could figure this thing out. Now I would have to wait for an answer back for a few days as usual. A couple of hours later I checked and whoa there it was. They had a video just showing what I need to do and now I have sharp bits.
Drill Doctor needs a big pat on the back. The fastest reply from customer service I have ever had.

I am a Drill doctor fan now

Top Bottom