Drill Doctor? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 134

Well I for one dislike them, i find it too time consuming to get out and set up just to put a fresh edge on a bit. I guess it like a lot of the pro wood turners a lot of them dont use jigs for sharpening their tools where as I do. I guess its all used to what you get used to.
Thats why my Drill Doctor 750X is sitting in the Bash Bank waiting for one of you like people to win it. Infact one of you in this post did win it once but turned it down as he already had one.
Lin.
lorbay is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Alright, y'all talked me into it. Now where is a good place to buy drill bits to sharpen? (I realized that most of the bits I already own are brad point.)
ghansen4 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghansen4 View Post
Alright, y'all talked me into it. Now where is a good place to buy drill bits to sharpen? (I realized that most of the bits I already own are brad point.)

You should be happy with it. I reshape brad points to 118* with a split point for drilling blanks. I donít feel like the brad point works well in end grain.
If you donít have a complete set either buy onesies as you need and buy good ones, or you can go cheap and get the HF complete set.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I am the devil's advocate for this one. I bought a practically new one, and have the newer model at work. I don't like them. Now I am very picky so keep that in mind :). For most pen making and using similar size bits they probably work ok. But for a full range they take too much tinkering to get a good grind. Again, I am picky, I learned to grind by hand very early in my carreer as a machinist, so......

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghansen4 View Post
Greg; Here is my take. Get a cheap set of bits. 115 piece Fractional, Letter, and Number bits. Get a metric set of bits too. Sharpen all the ones you use regularly. Each time you use a bit put a sharpie mark on the shank. When you get several marks on a bit, buy a high quality bit. Norseman and Chicago-Latrobe bits are excellent. A long time ago, I swallowed hard and purchased a complete of Chicago-Latrobe bits. <gulp>

I find that often the best fitting drill bit is NOT the one on the instructions. Write down on the instructions the correct drill bit to use with that pen.

Even a cheap bit will perform much better when sharpened on a DD. There is a learning curve with the DD. It takes some time to get good at sharpening. There is a whole technique to sharpening drill bits as Paul said.

115 piece drill bit set.
TiN Coated 115 pc. Drill Bit Set | Grizzly Industrial

Metric set.
Metric Drill Bit Set, TiN Coated, 25 pc. | Grizzly Industrial

Merry Christmas!
In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....
Jesus died to save your soul,
The American serviceman died to save your freedom.
Remember both at this time of year......

Last edited by randyrls; 10-13-2017 at 07:34 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads