Drill Doctor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I'm on the fence about getting a Drill Doctor... Seems like most people that get one are glad they did and wish they had gotten it sooner. However, I'm questioning whether I'm at a point where I really need one, or if I just like the idea of getting more tools... What do you think, when is a Drill Doctor worth it? Also, which model would you recommend? I don't have anything bigger than a 1/2 inch, but I wonder if I'll regret not having the 750x in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GDGeorge

I use mine a good bit when I've got the shop up and running. I like its ease of use.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

frank123

So ..... what's wrong with just getting more tools?

Anyway, it's always nice to be able to touch up your drill bits to perfection each time you use them.

PatrickR

I use mine several times a week. I upgraded to the 750 recently and really like it. Since getting a HF set of bits I sharpen each one before using it. It's surprising how much better they are after.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a 8 or 9 year old 750 and recommend it. They allow for split points and can do up to 3/4 inch. Split points prevent wandering when starting.
Also, Adjustable point angles from 115° to 140°.

Split points and angle choices make it worth it in the long run.

magpens

I don't know how many pens you have made (you joined IAP only last month ! ) or how many you plan to make.

A few high quality drill bits (like Norseman) will last you a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng time without sharpening.

But when it does come time to sharpen, I believe (from previous and now forgotten research) that the DD 750X is worth the extra few $$ compared to the other models.

I have a 750X but I rarely use it except when a drill bit gets really buggered by trying to enlarge a hole in hardened tool steel or something like that.

I bought Norseman drill bits 8 years ago when I started pen turning, have made about 1000 pens, and have had to sharpen only one of them (due to the above reason ! ). . I have drilled through every possible pen blank material except Tru-stone or similar.

Last edited:

darrin1200

I will also give thumbs up to the 750. The extra size is well worth it. There are a number of kits the use bits larger than 1/2".
You won't regret the upgrade.

yaroslaw

Since I've got Drill Doctor, I've stopped having problems with drilling (99% of a time).
It's a must unless you can sharpen a drill bit freehand. I can't.

And some materials will dull your drill bits in just one blank. Trustone is not that bad (but it will dull drills in few blanks), but any bone or, heck, ivory - is a killer to a drill.

duncsuss

+1 for the 750 model.

My reasons: Small standard-sized drill bits are cheap to buy replacements, but once you get up to the larger sizes they are too expensive to throw away when they get dull.

Plus IMO it's more important to have larger bits sharp, since I'm using them to make (a) more expensive pens, with (b) more expensive blanks (burls, exotics, etc) which I do not want to mess up with a dull drill bit.

lorbay

Well I for one dislike them, i find it too time consuming to get out and set up just to put a fresh edge on a bit. I guess it like a lot of the pro wood turners a lot of them dont use jigs for sharpening their tools where as I do. I guess its all used to what you get used to.
Thats why my Drill Doctor 750X is sitting in the Bash Bank waiting for one of you like people to win it. Infact one of you in this post did win it once but turned it down as he already had one.:biggrin::biggrin:
Lin.

ghansen4

Alright, y'all talked me into it. Now where is a good place to buy drill bits to sharpen? (I realized that most of the bits I already own are brad point.)

PatrickR

Alright, y'all talked me into it. Now where is a good place to buy drill bits to sharpen? (I realized that most of the bits I already own are brad point.)

You should be happy with it. I reshape brad points to 118* with a split point for drilling blanks. I don't feel like the brad point works well in end grain.
If you don't have a complete set either buy onesies as you need and buy good ones, or you can go cheap and get the HF complete set.

Paul in OKC

I am the devil's advocate for this one. I bought a practically new one, and have the newer model at work. I don't like them. Now I am very picky so keep that in mind :). For most pen making and using similar size bits they probably work ok. But for a full range they take too much tinkering to get a good grind. Again, I am picky, I learned to grind by hand very early in my carreer as a machinist, so......

randyrls

Greg; Here is my take. Get a cheap set of bits. 115 piece Fractional, Letter, and Number bits. Get a metric set of bits too. Sharpen all the ones you use regularly. Each time you use a bit put a sharpie mark on the shank. When you get several marks on a bit, buy a high quality bit. Norseman and Chicago-Latrobe bits are excellent. A long time ago, I swallowed hard and purchased a complete of Chicago-Latrobe bits. <gulp>

I find that often the best fitting drill bit is NOT the one on the instructions. Write down on the instructions the correct drill bit to use with that pen.

Even a cheap bit will perform much better when sharpened on a DD. There is a learning curve with the DD. It takes some time to get good at sharpening. There is a whole technique to sharpening drill bits as Paul said.

115 piece drill bit set.
TiN Coated 115 pc. Drill Bit Set | Grizzly Industrial

Metric set.
Metric Drill Bit Set, TiN Coated, 25 pc. | Grizzly Industrial

Last edited:
Top Bottom