Drill bits for alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lindhend

Hey guys, I'm about to experiment with turning (an) alabaster fountain pen. The kit I'm using requires a 10.5 mm and a 12.5 mm bit. Those sizes seem to be hard to find on any carbide or diamond-tipped bit. Nor have I found those sizes on any glass/tile bits. I've looked around on lapidary supplier sites and others with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm indeed a novice, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Linden

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Artu Drills available in Metric and Imperial available around the world. I settled recently for just under and made the finished drill size in a normal steel drill in a Wooly Mammoth Tooth..

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8603.JPG
    DSCF8603.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

magpens

Your drill size does not have to be exactly what the kit manufacturer says.

Check a drill size conversion table and choose a "fractional" drill that is close and a little undersize but measure the brass tube first and do not go below that for sure. I think that drilling in alabaster will result in an oversize hole, so that is why I am suggesting you use a slightly undersize fractional drill.

Here is the link to a drill size conversion table that I use all the time.

Drill Size Conversion Table

PenPal

I have a clear memory of being in Cappadocia in Eastern Turkey watching a local outdoors making beautiful objects from the local Alabaster using no protection ,primitive tools and an ancient Metal Lathe,it was almost primeval. He used normal steel drills etc.

Peter.

Top Bottom