Drill bits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eppen

I would be interested in what style others use for drill bits and why.
I mostly have Brad point which I have used on wood and acrylics fairly successfully but was wondering about the benefits of other designs.

Thanks

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I just use regular twist bits. I have the large set from Harbor Freight and a drill doctor to keep them sharp. Works for me. I've never tried any other types.

Woodchipper

I got the drill bit set on sale at Woodcraft. It is a mix of regular point and brad point bits. Comes with a nice metal case to keep them organized. I have a bunch of bits that need to be sorted out and some tossed. My Rikon low speed grinder had a platform with an angled groove for bits. I have tried it and it does a good job.

Herb G

The problem with brad point bits is the fact they will ride along the wood grain & follow it right out the side of the blank.
They also have the tendency to split out the bottom of acrylic blanks as well.
I use regular point bits for most everything.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I just use regular twist bits. I have the large set from Harbor Freight and a drill doctor to keep them sharp. Works for me. I've never tried any other types.

What Jim said. I've used brad points but they can leave chip out when exiting acrylic blanks.

Woodchipper

The problem with brad point bits is the fact they will ride along the wood grain & follow it right out the side of the blank.
They also have the tendency to split out the bottom of acrylic blanks as well.
I use regular point bits for most everything.

I put a dimple in the wood with a sharpened nail to get the bit started. I do get some "drift" in wood blanks with the hole coming out off center but not enough to be concerned with as most wood is turned away. Good point - no pun intended. I use regular bits for acrylic.

thewishman

I bought the big Harbor Freight set and have used it for years. Replaced the most used bits with Norseman bits and now have replaced many of those with 135 degree cobalt bits:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/43482470

The cobalt bits work very well and were purchased for drilling metals. They are overkill for acrylics and woods, but work so well that I use them when I can.

PenPal

Look into DeWalt Extreme 2 bits they have a drill point and flattish lands developed for cutting stainless steel by De Walt I have used them for twenty plus many years successfully. The 7mm drills give me hundreds sometimes many times that. I regard their cost as nominal only.

Peter.

PenPal

Pic of DeWalt Extreme 2 drill.

Peter.

Attachments

• DeWalt Drill.JPG
    DeWalt Drill.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 140

PatrickR

I remember seeing plastics specific bits that are shaped like a ream. Anyone use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom