Drill Bit Sharpener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I'm thinking about buying a drill bit sharpener. Would appreciate any information the subject since I know nothing. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

I have the DD 750x and while it will sharpen twist, split point, 118* and 135* bits, it won't sharpen brad and pilot point bits. Because I don't have any of those it's not an issue for me. The DD works great at sharpening the above bits.

Joe

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I strongly reccomend the DD750 or equivalent.There ahs been a few threads about this.
There was a current one but a search in the archives should bring up more.

Jamie

Do I understand this right, With the DD-750, can I grind the brad point off a brad point bit and turn it into a regular point bit? If this is true, won't all that grinding alter the hardness?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Jamie
<br />Do I understand this right, With the DD-750, can I grind the brad point off a brad point bit and turn it into a regular point bit? If this is true, won't all that grinding alter the hardness?

James,

The few brad point drills that I have I use until they get dull. Then, I convert them to 135 degree split points with my DD750. So far, I have not noticed any problems. I don't think that there is a commercially available tool to resharpen brad point drills, but I can't swear to it. BTW, definitely get the DD750 as it will handle any drill size that we use.

FWIW,

Randy_

Originally posted by Jamie
<br />Do I understand this right, With the DD-750, can I grind the brad point off a brad point bit and turn it into a regular point bit? If this is true, won't all that grinding alter the hardness?

Yes to first question.

And no to the second, given that you take the standard precautions about not overheating the drill bits.

And a final tip....grind down the bullet points and brad points to the approximate 135° twist configuration on your bench grinder and then do the final sharpening on the DD. The stones for the DD are relatively expensive and there is no need to wear them out prematurely with a lot of rough grinding.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you use the above method as seuggested, dip it in a little oil to keep it cool while at the bench grinder or you will have "blue bits"

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />If you use the above method as seuggested, dip it in a little oil to keep it cool while at the bench grinder or you will have "blue bits"
Is that anything like blue b...ooopppsss! Almost forgot that this is a "G" rated site. [:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jamie,
I am very new to this fantastic site, but I have been in the engineering game for years. My honest opinion is DON'T buy a machine designed to sharpen your drill bits. Learn how to sharpen them on a grinding machine. Unfortunatley this is a dying art, which is sad because the results are really often better than those from an affordable dedicated machine. Fortunatley for me, I had a great foreman during my apprenticeship and he took a box of about 100 bit of different sizes, ground them flat and told me to get on with it!!
The result was that 25 plus years later, if I'm really stuck, I could probably sharpen a broken bit with a brick. With practice, there is not a drill bit made that you can't sharpen. There are also dozens of ways to sharpen each type of bit for a particular material. There are many sites on the web that even have video tutorials of how to sharpen bits.
It's like riding a bike, you will never forget!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Great idea, Skiprat. Now then, about how to turn without electricity. I have seen some lathes turned with a foot treadle, and that would help avoid dependance on electricity. [:D][}:)][:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok Billy Boy, I get your point and this is the 21st century after all.[:)]
The ability to sharpen drill bits is a skill like sharpening your turning tools, and of course like turning pens.
There are recents pics of ribbons flying off a pen in a lathe. This is really satisfying when you sharpened the tool yourself. Ditto for drill bits. When those twin ribbons curl out of the hole.....

Cor Blimey, does it for me!!
Cheers Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom