Drill bit list

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

New pen turner. Having a ball, but so much practice needed.

I got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas that burning a hole in my wallet. What are the definitive drill bit sizes I need to most of the pens? I currently have the 7mm and 10mm, both brad points. What are the other "must haves"?

All input welcomed, and thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Some other popular sizes would be 10.5 mil. ,12.5 mil.,3/8 .27/64.
Brad point would not be my choice. Go with regular twist bits.

HOME DEPOT has these DEWALT Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set (29-Piece)
Model# DW1369 . $60.00

I have a set of these and they work great.

Last edited:

Herb G

You will not find any metric bits at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other box store.
I know. I checked out every one of these stores in multiple locations before I found out they only sell inch size drill bits.

Silverado

Another good place for Norseman Bits is Mechanics Bits and Tools. There prices are for 2 bits of the same size.

TonyL

At HD:
3/8
23/64
25/64
27/64
15/32

I am sure there are others, but among the Imperial size, these are what I use most.
You may want to see if you find a Drill Doctor there (HD) and buy the Norseman bits in Imperial and metric sizes.

I buy mine from Fairbury Fasteners: Fairbury Fastener
But I may take a look at Mechanics Bits and Tools per Sliverado.

magpens

Drill bit sizes specified in the pen kit instruction sheets are not the only choices you have. . You can substitute inch sizes for metric or letter-size.
In my opinion, the instruction sheets usually specify a size that is slightly on the large side, so I would substitue an inch size which is close but a little smaller.

You should be able to get appropriate inch sizes at HD, or if not, go to a tool store or order online (most pen kit sellers will have drill bits). . You can always save your HD gift certificate for other things like lawnmower blades, and plumbing accessories !!

I think you should read the instruction sheets (most are online) for the pen kits you are interested in and then make a list of the drill bits you want.

Here is a reference chart if you want to look up a close inch-equivalent to metric and letter sizes:

Drill Size Conversion Table

Last edited:

Marmotjr

I was going to say don't waste that HD card on lawnmower blades! Use it to get other turning supplies!

Then I looked over at my lathe wall, and I'm hard pressed to come up with much other than sand paper and drill bits that the big box stores sell that I use for pen turning. Maybe some finishing supplies, if I decide to go with a non CA finished pen. Small spring clamps and 1/4" dowel for segmented glue ups?

Most of the time of if I'm trying out a new pen kit, I'll get a starter package that includes the bushings and drill bits. It's usually easier (for me at least) that way than piecing them all together on my own. Yes, I have a few 3/8" bits now, but since that's a common size that gets used outside of turning, I like the spares. And sandpaper, I like the smalls roll kits, but cutting up sheets isn't that hard.

If you don't have either, put that card towards a benchtop bandsaw or drill press.

randyrls

Howard; I will take a different tack. Go to the Home Depot web site and purchase the 115 piece drill bit set. Ask them to ship to store (its free!).

A metric set from 3mm to 13mm by .5mm steps combined with the one above will give you every bit you could want.

I often find that the correct size drill bit IS NOT the one specified in the instructions. I find the next one smaller often works. I write that size on the instructions and the sheet goes into my three ring binder.

Camardelle

Most of the time of if I'm trying out a new pen kit, I'll get a starter package that includes the bushings and drill bits.

If you don't have either, put that card towards a benchtop bandsaw or drill press.

Good advice! That's what I've been doing. I thought I could use the card for something like this but it looks like a new tool cart may just be in order instead.

Thanks for the input!

hippi

i found some metrics at menards 8mm twist bit it looks like they have the most comman bits 7mm 8mm ect and they were about $4-$10

Top Bottom