Does anyone use these bits from PSI ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Does anyone use the new acrylic bits from PSI?
Are they worth the extra money?
LINKY HERE

Also, what are the most common sizes you use for your pens, and which pens do you make the most of?

Pros? Cons? Anything else one should know before investing this kind of money in yet another miracle bit?

Thanks for reading, and for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I have not used those bits; I use Norseman bits for all (that doesn't mean that the PSI acrylics bits are not good - IDK).

Here are the sizes of the bits that I use the most (in order of frequency):
3/8"
12.5mm
10.5mm
15/32"
25/64"
27/64"
10mm
8mm

The bold font sizes I use to make single barrel pens that I give a way as gifts or sell to sell to folks that prefer to spend under $60.

I also have, but don't use often 7mm to over 1/2" in .5 increments. To make the long clicker, I use an extra long bit.

I did buy Colt and Fischer bits when I started, but like the Norseman better. I am do not know enough about machining, drilling, etc. to state exactly why. I just find them to drill more easily through the material. I wouldn't rely on my Pros and Cons given my limited experience to "work" that requires drilling - I just turn pens and have not been doing it nearly as long as most.

Last edited:

mecompco

I've not used them. They seem pretty pricey, when a regular (non-brad point) bit works perfectly fine. I do usually user a center drill first to get started, especially on an end that might not be perfectly square.

Regards,
Michael

PS: My most common sizes are pretty much along the same as Tony's. Though I have been using the 10.5 and 12.5mm bits more as of late.

tonylumps

i use the Acrylic bits Same sizes Tony L uses. They work great.But that does not mean you could get crazy with them.It seems they don't heat up as much.

KenV

Herb, acrylic specific bits have been around a long time in the plastics industry. They tend to NOT self feed going through and avoid exit chipping. I have a few, and learned how to resharpen them, which headed me to using norseman jobber bits and hone a secondary bevel.

Have not used the PSI version. (Keeping them sharp is the real issue).

Top Bottom