DIY Texturing Tool - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default DIY Texturing Tool

Normally, I tried to achieve smooth surfaces in the items I turn, and spend (relatively) lots of money on sandpaper to make the finished items as smooth as possible. But recently, I become intrigued with texturing, and opted to try to make some texturing tools.

My starting point was the excellent tutorial by Mike Peace on making a rotary texturing tool similar to the Henry Taylor Decorating Elf. Mike has posted instructions on line that include a complete parts list and directions on where to find the components. Mike also has a YouTube video on using the tool.

The components needed to make this tool are fairly inexpensive, but they aren't always easy to find. As Mike points out in his instructions, they can be ordered on-line, but the shipping cost adds up rapidly. I found that there are clever ways to source the components without paying for shipping.

Components such as the handle and ferrule are things that most turners already have around. You will also need a 1/4" rare earth magnet - I had some in the shop, but they are also available at both hardware stores and hobby/craft suppliers. The magnet serves as both a thrust bearing for the cutter, and the mechanism to hold the replaceable cutter in the tool. The shaft is made from a plumbing fitting - nominally a 1/8x4" brass pipe nipple. I bought mine at Homer's, and I suspect most any hardware store with a decent plumbing section will have them. By the way, a key component in the design is that the 1/4" rare earth magnet has to fit inside the shaft. While these nipples are advertised as '1/8"', the ID is actually quite a bit larger. It would be prudent to take along a caliper when shopping for the nipple so that you can actually measure the ID of the item you buy. You will also need a length of 1/8" hardwood dowel - which you can either buy locally, or make.

The cutter is a readily available Dremel accessory. You may be able to find it on the rack at your hardware store. I found that the selection of Dremel accessories is really random, and none of the stores in our area actually had this cutter in stock. Fortunately, it is possible to order it on-line from Ace Hardware for pickup at your local store without a delivery charge.

That leaves the sleeve bearing. Larger hardware stores often stock bronze sleeve bearings, but they may not have bearings with the 1/8" bore required to match the Dremel cutter. You can buy them on line, but that's where the shipping cost issue arises.

My workaround was to use a plastic sleeve bearing rather than a bronze bearing. HDPE and UMHW both make good sleeve bearings, and can easily be machined using a wood lathe. I used a scrap of HDPE salvaged from an inexpensive cutting board from the dollar store. I intentionally made the bore slightly oversized by using a #30 drill bit (0.1285"). Most glues won't bond to HDPE, so I machined grooves around the circumference so that the epoxy would cure to form ridges in the grooves that locked the sleeve into the shaft mechanically.

Bottom line: my total out-of-pocket cost for parts was less than $15 - for the brass nipple and the cutter. Everything else was made from stuff I had lying around in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
texturing-tool-small.jpg  

Last edited by monophoto; 06-02-2018 at 11:14 AM.
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 63

Interesting !

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Interesting!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads