DIY Carbide tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parrain

My first attempt at DIY carbide tool (making and using).
588e3c90f72ab8f0ea2f3ea5571ed306.jpg
9338658feddf5728f1260255682f455e.jpg
c7571e5932b306dcc93691dac5d2e70e.jpg
b3755d6b9d67108acc8d80fbdec73539.jpg
Turning definitely has it's issues but hopefully this will get better with the next two. 3/8 " bar stock, cherry and purple heart. Handle turned with the tool it now holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

How did you recess the end to drill and tap for the carbide insert? Would like to try it myself. My son is a ME and has friends in the machine shop who let him do little projects at lunch time. Thanks for sharing. Next time, have photos that can be enlarged, please.

monophoto

Typically, the bar is made from mild steel that can be easily cut using a hack saw or a dremel with a cut-off wheel. Or you can simply use a file to make a flat to receive the cutter. The notch doesn't have to be large - the usual target is for the notch depth to be about the thickness of the cutter. I usually also taper the nose of the bar at the sides and bottom using a grinder - the idea is to make the edge of the cutter extend over the bar at the nose and sides, and also taper back the bottom of the bar so that it won't wedge against the piece with the tool is being used.

Drilling is also fairly simple - you can use a hand drill, but a drill press is better. Drilling steel is much slower than drilling wood, and you have to periodically have to lubricate the drill bit with a light oil, so clamping the bar to a drill press table simplifies the process of keeping everything aligned for drilling and frees up a hand for fussing with an oil can.

Tapping is also fairly simple, but requires some practice. The hole is fairly small so you will be using a fine tap, and - DAMHIKT - small taps tend to 'wear out' frequently, especially if you haven't done this kind of work before and aren't practiced. So buy a spare tap (or two), use plenty of oil, and take your time. The tap will tend to bind in the hole, so you have to frequently back out the tap to clear the swarf. With small taps, you shouldn't try to cut more than a quarter of a turn at at time without clearing the swarf.

Parrain

How did you recess the end to drill and tap for the carbide insert? Would like to try it myself. My son is a ME and has friends in the machine shop who let him do little projects at lunch time. Thanks for sharing. Next time, have photos that can be enlarged, please.

I used the bench grinder to create the recess. I'm still new to the forum but how are theses?
2316410d28f88ddb4ea0eca575c15fb6.jpg
db241289a85e104fb6c6a0e60d18061c.jpg
3831acaa52385f61549abd7e358e3780.jpg
cc12bbe5e5522730f9d28b13382383b8.jpg

Woodchipper

Thanks. What is the size of the screw for the carbide tip. As mentioned, my son is a ME and has access to all kinds of technical info. I think he even has a copy of the Machinist's Handbook which is loaded with all kinds of technical stuff. I have everything but the steel bar and the drill and tap. The rest should be easy. Even have plenty of wood for the handle.

mecompco

Thanks. What is the size of the screw for the carbide tip. As mentioned, my son is a ME and has access to all kinds of technical info. I think he even has a copy of the Machinist's Handbook which is loaded with all kinds of technical stuff. I have everything but the steel bar and the drill and tap. The rest should be easy. Even have plenty of wood for the handle.

I'm working on a set of four carbide tools. You can get the steel anywhere--I got my 1/2" stock on eBay, but I understand Tractor Supply also has it. Here is a link to the drill and tap I got, which is supposed to match the threads of the screws than come with carbide cutters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IOX8GJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get a wide variety of cutters, reasonably priced, at AZ Carbide - Carbide Cutters & Inserts for Woodturning Tools. With a smaller variety, but even cheaper, is Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

Parrain

I actually bought 3/8 inch bar stock... $6 and change at Home Depot for 36 inches. That's enough for 3 tools sinking 4" and leaving 8" exposed. The drill and tap I also got from HD. The insert company stated M4 or M5 for the screw size. I went with M5. Couple things I plan on changing next set... 1/2 stock may be more comfortable (3/8 works fine though) and I would use the angle grinder to cut the initial recess and just clean up on the bench grinder to control the size a little better. The square tends to rotate during the initial tightening.

Woodchipper

Thanks again for the reply! Got this on my to-do list.......which gets longer each day. I'll have to live until I'm 137 to get it all done...provided I don't add anything else.

Top Bottom