Digital Caliper Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I dropped mine for the 10th time. They still serve as calipers, but no read-out. I bought them from one of our vendors for about $30 and they served me well (to a thousandth of a inch/mm). I see fraction/digital calipers sold for 20 to $150. There has to be difference or at least perceived difference. Anyway, I live among 3 or 4 retailers and do rely on the read-out. Any recommendation? Otherwise..another $30 one will serve its purpose just fine. I can also wait and but mail-order.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

If you want top end, and are headed to using machinist like precision, think about Mitutoyo . The side benefit is that they battery life is very long on the top end as well as the seals to keep out liquids.

If kitless and making fountain pens from scratch is not in your future, and you are rough and tumble, set a couple of lower cost ones.

Always good to have a cheap one or two to use where you are willing to sacrifice it. I have a few DIAL style I use in those situations.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have both a 6 inch Mitutoyo and a cheap 4 inch no name one. Both give the same results. The Mitutoy is much smoother and the batteries last forever even left on. For your purposes the cheaper ones will do just fine.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

TonyL

Going to get the HF, at least as a B/U. I like it better than the one I paid 30 on sale for. And I am getting advice on the Mitutoyo. Thanks folks!

TonyL

They are nice. I just got of the phone with them. HF is about 20 miles vs, Home Depot - every few miles, so I picked up a General for $30. I like the fractional read-out, but can live without it. I will probably by the one recommended (but no fractional read-out). They all say it is much smoother. I will say that the General appears pretty sturdy/well-made. Thanks for the input. I was going to look at what TLMS had.

jfoh

I have a shop full of different digital calipers. I keep one on most machines like thickness sander, thickness planer, table saw, drill press, band saw and of course lathe. Most were bought on half off sales at various retailers. I love the fractional readers and have ones bought at Rockler as well as littlemachineshop.com. Rockler put theirs on sale for $9.99 and I bought several.

I find more uses for them than I ever expected. the one on the drill press gets used almost every time I drill something. On drill bits it is easier to measure than try to read sizes, on small drill bits I often can not even see the sizes after a few uses. I like the quick conversion of inches to mm to fractions when searching for drill bits. So my digital caliper gets a lot of use one the drill press. I took years to stumble across this one use of a good caliper and would not be without it again.

TonyL

They are a handy tool. Thirteen months ago, I wondered what anybody would do with them. LOL. I am pretty impressed with the $30 one from home depot (General). Thanks folks!

CaptainJane

non digital calipers more accurate

I have an old Starett, and a new Harbor Freight standard 6 inch dial calipers - not the digital ones. If I am not mistaken, the dial calipers read to 3 decimal places while the electronic only go to 2 places. I much prefer the dial. No worries about batteries, and easier for me to see.

By the way, the Harbor Freight and Starett read exactly the same.

eajacobson

I think my digitals go to four decimal places. Now, how accurate they are out there is another matter...

Ed

I have an old Starett, and a new Harbor Freight standard 6 inch dial calipers - not the digital ones. If I am not mistaken, the dial calipers read to 3 decimal places while the electronic only go to 2 places. I much prefer the dial. No worries about batteries, and easier for me to see.

By the way, the Harbor Freight and Starett read exactly the same.

TonyL

The gal at the little machine shop said they will all read the same (just repeated what she said). The price difference is drawn from smoothness of movement, resistance to corrosive liquids, and battery life. She was very nice and didn't hesitate to not only show me the $54 one, cut the one they had on sale for $20. I did tell him that I only make pens (from kits). I do like the fractional read-out which the General has.
General Tools Fraction Plus 6 in. 3-Mode Digital Caliper-147 - The Home Depot

Paul in OKC

Not a digital guy myself. Fowler makes a great little 4" dial caliper that I have at home. Also have 12" Mitutoyo, which is over kill for pens :). At the shop, all Fowler. 4, 8, 12, and even a 24" set!

monophoto

My HF has served we well for three years. Only complaint is that they eat batteries.

Now that Radio Shack is gone, not sure where to buy batteries.

JimB

My HF has served we well for three years. Only complaint is that they eat batteries.

Now that Radio Shack is gone, not sure where to buy batteries.

I believe HF sells the batteries. If not, you can get them at the dollar store or at Walmart in the jewelry dept. they are just watch batteries.

Curly

Not a digital guy myself. Fowler makes a great little 4" dial caliper that I have at home. Also have 12" Mitutoyo, which is over kill for pens :). At the shop, all Fowler. 4, 8, 12, and even a 24" set!

To the OP.
Stick with the cheap import calipers since you admit to dropping your calipers a lot. You'll cry big time if you do the same to new expensive Mitutoyo, and they would land on the inside tips the first time for sure. :frown:

To Paul.
My company has bigger than yours. :) :) :) Mitutoyo digital from 6" to 24" and old style reading vernier 12", 24", 40", 60", and for good measure (pun intended :rolleyes: ) 120"!!! :biggrin: Nah..Nah..Nana..Nah. :tongue:

Top Bottom