Delta Midi Lathe 46-250

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRK

I inherited this lathe from my father. It has been sitting on a shelf until I recently decided to try pen turning.

When I got it out, I found that the belt needed to be replaced. It seems that a lot of parts from this lathe are no longer available. I was able to obtain a replacement belt.

Once I got it back together, it seems that the lathe is quite noisy, the higher the speed, the more noise it makes.

I am not sure if I did not get it re-assembled correctly, or if the noise is normal. I still have the instruction manual, and it is not very complicated...

I tried oiling the bearings, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I was hoping maybe someone on here is familiar with this lathe, and might enlighten me.

Thanks

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Try here for parts:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46250-type-midilathe-parts-c-3275_9659_12777.html

Sounds like it could be the bearings. They should be sealed so it would be hard to get lube into them. Loosen the belt and test how smoothly the spindle turns. Also make sure the belt isn't too tight, usually 1/8"-1/4" deflection. You could also turn on the motor with the belt loose to check the motor for the source of the noise.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I don't hear anything! :biggrin: Just joking with you. Those bearings should be sealed. So...a squirt of oil might not help. Can you feel any play in the spindle?

JRK

Try here for parts:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46250-type-midilathe-parts-c-3275_9659_12777.html

Sounds like it could be the bearings. They should be sealed so it would be hard to get lube into them. Loosen the belt and test how smoothly the spindle turns. Also make sure the belt isn't too tight, usually 1/8"-1/4" deflection. You could also turn on the motor with the belt loose to check the motor for the source of the noise.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

The lathe gets louder at higher speeds. This is not a variable speed lathe, speed control is by moving the belt left or right from pulley to pulley. So the motor runs at the same speed. I do not believe it is the motor.

I will see if the spindle has any play in it.

There are marks on the flange on the spindle. Looks like my father put a pipe wrench on it at some point. Not sure why...

Thanks

Jerry

Gary Beasley

Its got a reeves drive. Those will make a lot of noise when they get wear on them, which is probably whats going on with yours. I used to run old Baum folders with reeves drives on them and they were wore out, noisy and sometimes hard to adjust the speed but they kept going.

JRK

Its got a reeves drive. Those will make a lot of noise when they get wear on them, which is probably whats going on with yours. I used to run old Baum folders with reeves drives on them and they were wore out, noisy and sometimes hard to adjust the speed but they kept going.

I think I can still get bearings. Would new bearings help?

Thanks

Jerry

Gary Beasley

I think I can still get bearings. Would new bearings help?

Thanks

Jerry

Yes it will. It wont get rid of all the noise because some of it is from the belt running on worn surfaces of the pulleys and the belt itself may have uneven wear. If you change the bearings you might want to see if the belt is available too.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
One other thing you can try is de-glaze the pulley surfaces where the belt makes contact. Use some fine sand paper and just scuff the shiny surface off.

Top Bottom