Delta 46-460 - Switch?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I was turning away tonight when all of a sudden my lath just stopped. Long story short, I took it apart and I was getting power to the switch. Made sure the connections were tight and did get it running. However, it does not run consistently at any set speed. The RPMs fluctuate like an engine being revved. I have read that it is not uncommon for 46-460 switches to go bad. Does my problem sound like a switch or might it have something to do with the circuit board that is in there? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike, a few years ago I had the same symptom. I took the switch apart and straightened the two copper contact strips so they made better contact. No problem since. Assuming yours is the rocker type switch!

mbroberg

Mike, a few years ago I had the same symptom. I took the switch apart and straightened the two copper contact strips so they made better contact. No problem since. Assuming yours is the rocker type switch!

Thanks Chuck! I'll start there. I was just looking on E-Replacement,com and the switch I need is obsolete!:eek: I hope I can get it spinning like it is suppose to!

low_48

There were two generations of the switch on that lathe. There was a pretty early redesign. Make sure which generation you are looking for. 1st gen was a rocker switch, 2nd gen is a rotary. Pretty sure that's right , I have the second gen. But since it's hunting for speed, I think it might be the board.

mbroberg

There were two generations of the switch on that lathe. There was a pretty early redesign. Make sure which generation you are looking for. 1st gen was a rocker switch, 2nd gen is a rotary. Pretty sure that's right , I have the second gen. But since it's hunting for speed, I think it might be the board.

Hey Rich,

I'm pretty sure I have a Type 1. What do you think?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 237
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 181
  • unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 168
  • unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 172

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike, it's hard to tell from your photos. That looks like a rocker on top. Can you pop it out and pull the wires off the tabs? Then, it comes apart to expose those copper contacts. A good inexpensive place to start. But, forgive me IF I'm wrong.

BSea

Mike, that's the 1st version (same as mine). From what I remember reading, the switch is upgradable to the newer model. I've had a few times where the lathe would hesitate before starting. I'm probably looking at a switch replacement myself down the road. (Hopefully just the switch).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OR, connect the wires, eliminating the switch completely.

Then put it on an outlet strip that has a switch. That becomes your new "off-on" and can be replaced if ever necessary in about 2 minutes.

mbroberg

Mike, it's hard to tell from your photos. That looks like a rocker on top. Can you pop it out and pull the wires off the tabs? Then, it comes apart to expose those copper contacts. A good inexpensive place to start. But, forgive me IF I'm wrong.

Chuck,

Thanks! You probably saved me a bunch of money. Once I took the switch out I found that one of the wires had a very loose connection and when I wiggled it the RPMs fluctuated. I crimped it tighter and it now seems to run fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Mike, that's the 1st version (same as mine). From what I remember reading, the switch is upgradable to the newer model. I've had a few times where the lathe would hesitate before starting. I'm probably looking at a switch replacement myself down the road. (Hopefully just the switch).

Thanks Bob. I'll keep that in mind. It would seem to me that Delta would have to have a fix for this so I bet that you are right and it is upgradable.

OR, connect the wires, eliminating the switch completely.

Then put it on an outlet strip that has a switch. That becomes your new "off-on" and can be replaced if ever necessary in about 2 minutes.

I like that idea Ed. Simple, quick and inexpensive!

bjbear76

An old thread but still relevant. My delta 46-460 starting acting up this week and my first thought was the switch going bad. I remembered this being an issue in the past and did a search for some solutions. Lo and behold, this thread had the answer. Checked the wires, found a couple loose, tightened them up and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks to all the members that help each other and offer solutions. Saves some of us unnecessary time and money.

Top Bottom