Delta 46-460 - Switch? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 132

Default Delta 46-460 - Switch?

I was turning away tonight when all of a sudden my lath just stopped. Long story short, I took it apart and I was getting power to the switch. Made sure the connections were tight and did get it running. However, it does not run consistently at any set speed. The RPMs fluctuate like an engine being revved. I have read that it is not uncommon for 46-460 switches to go bad. Does my problem sound like a switch or might it have something to do with the circuit board that is in there?
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 219

Mike, a few years ago I had the same symptom. I took the switch apart and straightened the two copper contact strips so they made better contact. No problem since. Assuming yours is the rocker type switch!
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamino View Post
Mike, a few years ago I had the same symptom. I took the switch apart and straightened the two copper contact strips so they made better contact. No problem since. Assuming yours is the rocker type switch!
Thanks Chuck! I'll start there. I was just looking on E-Replacement,com and the switch I need is obsolete! I hope I can get it spinning like it is suppose to!
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

There were two generations of the switch on that lathe. There was a pretty early redesign. Make sure which generation you are looking for. 1st gen was a rocker switch, 2nd gen is a rotary. Pretty sure that's right , I have the second gen. But since it's hunting for speed, I think it might be the board.
low_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_48 View Post
There were two generations of the switch on that lathe. There was a pretty early redesign. Make sure which generation you are looking for. 1st gen was a rocker switch, 2nd gen is a rotary. Pretty sure that's right , I have the second gen. But since it's hunting for speed, I think it might be the board.
Hey Rich,

I'm pretty sure I have a Type 1. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg   unnamed2.jpg   unnamed3.jpg   unnamed4.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mike, it's hard to tell from your photos. That looks like a rocker on top. Can you pop it out and pull the wires off the tabs? Then, it comes apart to expose those copper contacts. A good inexpensive place to start. But, forgive me IF I'm wrong.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Mike, that's the 1st version (same as mine). From what I remember reading, the switch is upgradable to the newer model. I've had a few times where the lathe would hesitate before starting. I'm probably looking at a switch replacement myself down the road. (Hopefully just the switch).

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

OR, connect the wires, eliminating the switch completely.

Then put it on an outlet strip that has a switch. That becomes your new "off-on" and can be replaced if ever necessary in about 2 minutes.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamino View Post
Mike, it's hard to tell from your photos. That looks like a rocker on top. Can you pop it out and pull the wires off the tabs? Then, it comes apart to expose those copper contacts. A good inexpensive place to start. But, forgive me IF I'm wrong.
Chuck,

Thanks! You probably saved me a bunch of money. Once I took the switch out I found that one of the wires had a very loose connection and when I wiggled it the RPMs fluctuated. I crimped it tighter and it now seems to run fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post
Mike, that's the 1st version (same as mine). From what I remember reading, the switch is upgradable to the newer model. I've had a few times where the lathe would hesitate before starting. I'm probably looking at a switch replacement myself down the road. (Hopefully just the switch).
Thanks Bob. I'll keep that in mind. It would seem to me that Delta would have to have a fix for this so I bet that you are right and it is upgradable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
OR, connect the wires, eliminating the switch completely.

Then put it on an outlet strip that has a switch. That becomes your new "off-on" and can be replaced if ever necessary in about 2 minutes.
I like that idea Ed. Simple, quick and inexpensive!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Glad to help out Mike. I don't think you'll have to worry about it now.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads