Delta 46-460 lathe owners out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood shop Man

Hope some of you out there have a Delta 46-460 Midi Lathe. I ordered one from Lowes and I need to build a workbench for it before it arrives.
I need to know the overall width of the base, and the distance between the centers of the mounting holes looking from the front of the lathe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Delta Company Tech. department does not know this information....:confused::

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I'm at work but I'll measure tonight...
If someone else can get to it first, I'll disregard.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

One thing to consider when building your bench is if you ever plan on buying the bed extension for it. I didn't consider that when I built my bench, but now wish I had.

Wood shop Man

Thank you D.Oliver! I no longer have a shop big enough for the extension option. The Delta 46-460 is a lot bigger than my current Record Drill Master Mini lathe which I have had 25+ yrs! My grandsons will get it if they can talk their dad into giving up some of his large shop space..Lol.

monophoto

I have a small shop, and when I looked for a new lathe a few years ago, one of the stipulations was that it had to fit on my existing bench, so I made a point of capturing dimensions.

The spreadsheet that I created to compare the various options shows that the width of the 46-460 was 36" without a bed extension. That was larger than I could accommodate, so I didn't ask the next question about the center-to-center spacing of the mounting holes.

But it seems to me that if you know the outside dimension, you know enough to get started on a bench. You can reasonably estimate that the mounting center distance will be an inch or so less than the overall outside dimension, but you won't actually need until you get to the point of bolting it down.

My experience is that if you can afford the space, making the bench longer than the minimum required to hold the lathe will be valuable later on - there's never enough lay-down space around a lathe. And as Derek pointed out, don't overlook the possibility of adding a bed extension later.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

We'll see what Moke comes up with but I tried to grab a couple quick measurements at lunch. I got 3.25" between holes front to back, 30.25" inches between holes left to right. I have 3/8" bolts in mine. I don't know if that's the hole size or if I used smaller bolts than the holes. I didn't have time to unbolt during lunch. I'll try and do that tonight.

Last edited:

jcm71

Having my doubts about the ability of South Dakotans to use a measuring tape, I went out and measured mine. I got 3.125" front to back and concur with the 30.25" left to right. I have mine mounted with 3/8" hex bolts. The difference may be design changes over time. My 46-460 is six years old.

D.Oliver

Having my doubts about the ability of South Dakotans to use a measuring tape, I went out and measured mine. I got 3.125" front to back and concur with the 30.25" left to right. I have mine mounted with 3/8" hex bolts. The difference may be design changes over time. My 46-460 is six years old.

If I had to choose, I'd go with John's measurements. He's right about South Dakotans and tape measures!:biggrin:

Wood shop Man

Thank you very much Derek Oliver & Burlman for taking your time to provide these much needed measurements! I can now figure out where to place the support bracing under the table top to allow for the mounting bolts.
I am very fortunate to discover IAP and men like you that will help and old wood man like me. The bench dimensions will be 38" long X 30" deep X 28" tall. I plan to make two storage drawers as big as possible underneath for additional storage. Behind the lathe will be additional shelving for storage and lathe tool organization. I will post pictures of the final project when the lathe arrives.
Thank you so much to everyone that replied to my post!

Sincerely,
Bill Hyde
Wood Shop Man

thewishman

When I got my 46-460, I took the Jet bench and added an 8' 2X10 between the two. I now have room on both sides of the lathe for extra tools, sandpaper and whatever else I pile up there. It's nice to have the extra storage - the drawers sound like a great addition (thanks for sharing that idea!):)

Top Bottom