Decent Quality Metal Engraver for Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I do store my bushings as complete sets in the own plastic and lidded containers, but would like to engrave (not stamp) the 3 decimal outside diameter on each bushing (at least the diameter that it was when it was new).

I have a steady hand and a good quality Dremel (rotating) and Dremel- sonic vibrating, but was curious as to what others use for engraving metal.

Nothing fancy in terms of the engraving: .575, .482 etc. Obviously, I don't need the decimal point.

I have borrowed by friends AS SEEN ON TV version at was not impressed - it was only 9.99 though.

Thanks for reading,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Here is a comletely wacky idea. Put the bushings on the mandrel/lathe. Turn two narrow grooves in them. Then paint in the groove, a color coding for the size. Sanding the blanks, the paint should stay in the groove.

In the OLD days, electric resistors were color coded this ROYGBIV way. Black=0,brown=1,red=2,orange=3,yellow=4,green=5,blue=6,purple=7,gray=8,white-9.

TonyL

Thank you for your response. However, I know what I want to do and it will be with an engraver, but your idea may help many others and is much appreciated!

jttheclockman

Any dremel will do this Tony. I use mine on other things and it works well. I happen to have a Wen. Same thing. Must have bought that 25 years ago. Not for engraving fancy jewelry but for scratching in cheap metal.

randywa

Any dremel will do this Tony. I use mine on other things and it works well. I happen to have a Wen. Same thing. Must have bought that 25 years ago. Not for engraving fancy jewelry but for scratching in cheap metal.

Just curious, is your Wen the red 12 watt? I was given one yesterday that Noah might have marked his tools with. After some cleaning, soldiering, and a lit bit of smoke from the coil, it works great if you can stand the noise.

jttheclockman

Just curious, is your Wen the red 12 watt? I was given one yesterday that Noah might have marked his tools with. After some cleaning, soldiering, and a lit bit of smoke from the coil, it works great if you can stand the noise.

Yes. it is noisy.

I am sure Harbor freight has them too.

TonyL

Thanks JT. I assume there is engraving bit...I will buy and try that.

BeeAMaker

Here is a comletely wacky idea. Put the bushings on the mandrel/lathe. Turn two narrow grooves in them. Then paint in the groove, a color coding for the size. Sanding the blanks, the paint should stay in the groove.

In the OLD days, electric resistors were color coded this ROYGBIV way. Black=0,brown=1,red=2,orange=3,yellow=4,green=5,blue=6,purple=7,gray=8,white-9.

In the "old" days? lol That color scheme is still used today. ;)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dear Tony,
I am enclosing a link to one of the best metal engraving hand tools you can buy. Yes its slightly overkill for your bushings but will take your pen making to new heights.
HAND ENGRAVING TOOLS AND HAND ENGRAVING EQUIPMENT FOR JEWELERS AND ARTISTS. Learn to hand engrave with the patented Lindsay AirGraver Engraving Tools for Hand Engravers, Jewelers and Artists ~ Steve Lindsay
You will notice his engraving links (in red) in the middle of the page on each side of the pictures of the engravers.
I know, I know, its not exactly what you were thinking but I wanted to make sure you had plenty of information from which to make choices.:biggrin:

TonyL

Thank you Mike..what talent!

3 things (all in the most light-heated and jovial spirit :)

1. I can't plug it in.
2. It requires skill and patience...and despite my Italian heritage... I have not a strand of DNA from da Vinci and Michelangelo. You've seen my pics, right?
3. If I can do this...I would give up penturning. and miss you guys!

That is just unbelievable work/art!

Thanks for sharing though. I am a better and more humble man for having viewed it.

TonyL

Wait! I just took another look...operates on CO2 cartridges. Now, I am looking at pricing which looks like it was printed (or engraved) on the point of a pin. They also sell microscopes!

TonyL

I don't know it these are $400 or $4,000 - they have some very nice equipment. I will call them tomorrow. When I tell them I want to engrave $ 3 -$15 bushings, I wonder how fast I will hear "click" (phone hanging-up) LOL. But I will call them...never know what I will learn.

Top Bottom