Dead center wobble in headstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MiteyF

I've been turning more and more with a dead center in my headstock, for pens when TBC, and other projects.

My MT1 dead center has a definite wobble. I don't have this problem when using chucks, mandrels etc. I've been able to work around it, but I'd like to nip the problem in the bud. Is there a good way to clean/refurbish the MT1 taper in my headstock? Something like very fine sandpaper and something with a #1 taper, spun lightly?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The first thing that came to mind for me: on some head stocks they don't take morse tapers beyond a certain length. If your dead center is 1/32" too long, it may not be seating deep enough. That happened to me once about 10 years ago. I had to grind the tail end of the morse taper for it to go all the way in and seat correctly.

It probably is not your problem but do check it out.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You have mandrels that are MT1 and do NOT have the wobble?

Then it is your dead center--buy a new one, they are not expensive!! You will never make a great pen if the center is wobbling!!

magpens

If you are "cleaning" the MT1 socket in the headstock be "exceedingly" careful !!

Your first attempt at cleaning should be with a solvent and soft rag.

I would never use an abrasive or sandpaper ... not even with a properly shaped MT1 hone. . That's a job for a professional, IMHO.

Last edited:

MiteyF

The long and short of it is, it's a cheap $100-ish lathe, that I've just used to see if I really like turning. After 100ish projects, and lots of... ahem... "fixing" (shimming, cleaning, etc) it's working quite well for small projects. Certainly nothing worth letting a "professional" mess with. Besides, I don't let anyone else fix my tools, cars, motorcycles or anything else.

Hank, I'll check for a depth issue first. Thanks!

monophoto

The wording of your original post suggests that this is a problem that has gotten progressively worse, and that suggests that the problem is that dust and other crud may be accumulating inside the taper. Before using sandpaper, or a taper grinding tool, I would try some of the less destructive cleaning methods.

There are purpose-made tools for cleaning tapers (the 'green wienie' sold by Craft Supplies, for example). But you can purchase a brass 20 gauge shotgun barrel cleaning brush locally for much less, and it will do a very good job.

You can also use a toothbrush. A soft one - just like your dentist recommends.

MiteyF

Mono, there's no way a toothbrush will fit in an MT1, although gun cleaning supplies are a wonderful idea! I've got everything from .22 up to 12 gauge, brushes, snakes, oil etc. These are the wonderful types of suggestions I come here for. Thank you!

Dale Allen

Take a black marker like a sharpie and draw 3 or 4 lines the length of the dead center, spaced around it.
Place it in the headstock and ,before it is fully seated, rotate it back and forth as you seat it.
Then pull it out and see if it has smudged the marked lines all the way along the dead center.
That will tell you if it is seating correctly.

MiteyF

Dale, I'll give the sharpie trick a try.

Dog, the only other #1 accessories I have are a pen mandrel (which I don't really trust to be straight, nor do I use it) and some live centers. It's the Wen tabletop lathe, exactly the same as the HF model with different colors and branding. Like I said, anything that I screw on to the 1"x8 threads spins true as can be. Guess I'll stick a live center in and see what they do. The dead center is the only thing I ever use on the head stock with a taper.

MiteyF

Creid, I think $25 is a bit steep for that guy, especially for a cheap lathe. When I upgrade I'll be picking up something with a #2 taper, so as many accessories as possible have been 1"x8 threads, instead of #1 taper.

Rifleman1776

" less destructive cleaning methods."
Good advice. My rountine cleaning involves twisting up some paper towels into a taper, soaking well with WD-40 and turning by hand in the headstock. Follow that with clean and dry paper towel. So far, has worked for me.

JimB

dogcatcher

Take a 3/8" dowel, cut a saw kerf about 3" long and insert a small piece of craft foam in the kerf. Spray with WD40 or acetone and you have a cheap MT cleaner.

Top Bottom