Darn near perfect penturning lathe dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I think the next step is some sort of zero gravity chamber to catch that .003%! : ). : )

We all benefit from your efficiency! Thanks Curtis.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

Curtis,

Ever considered making the top cover one piece that is slanted/sloped instead of 2 pieces that are perpendicular each other?

Right now as you look at it from the tail stock it is rectangular, if you make it trapezoidal, you probably will have better visibility. Not sure what the impact is dust collection wise.

Sweet set up!

I found this post a few weeks ago and made a similar system using a shop vac and Dust Deputy. My first version had a sloped hood. When I closed the hood my over head light reflected right were the mandrel is. So I now have a flat top. It does not work as well as this one because of the low CFM of the shop vac but it works well enough to get the sanding dust.

deemka

This thread is kinda old, but this is an awesome idea, I may take this Idea and modify it some. thanks for posting, years ago lol

raar25

I tried something like that but the plexiglass got so dirty from spraying EEE, plastic polish and water I couldnt see through it anymore. I will try the hinge idea see if it keeps the spray away.

Warren White

How is it attached?

Could you provide some pictures as to how the dust collector is attached to the lathe?

Great idea, and an excellent implementation! Thanks for posting, and my thanks to others who have kept the post active.

Top Bottom