"D" size .248 drill blank. Where to get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

Does anybody know where I can get a size D (.248) drill blank at least 12 inches long.

Thanks
Morton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

what type of material and are you looking for there are several. i wqould think 01 tool steel woul;d work . here is a link to the mcmasterr-carr sight with the page up.

mcmasterr-carr. hope this helps

Last edited:

KenV

Most of the metal supply houses can provide "D" (0.246) steel -- price goes up with quality of material and precision of size.

"Drill blanks" are commonly higher precision high speed steel. Victor is a good source for taps, dies, and specialty steels.

Fractional HS Drill Blanks

I use high carbon steel (Silver Steel in the UK) for mandrel material.

PTsideshow

Enco on line, a lot of the drill rod is 36" long as a standard size. Most any tool,machine shop supply will sell it. Check locally It also goes by Tool steel rods, air,oil,water hardening steel.
You may also have to get the closest size and turn it down to your finished size.
:clown:

mwhatch

Thanks for all the help, and yes "D" does = .246.

It never occurred to me to look a McMaster and Carr, they have a 36" one for less than $5.00

Morton

KenV

A note on the precision of wording -- "Drill Rod" is not the same thing as "Drill Blank"

Drill Rod is high carbon steel -- usually oil hardening

Drill blanks is high speed steel - these are often made into drill bits and special tooling.

cwolfs69

A note on the precision of wording -- "Drill Rod" is not the same thing as "Drill Blank"

Drill Rod is high carbon steel -- usually oil hardening

Drill blanks is high speed steel - these are often made into drill bits and special tooling.
"drill rod" can be obtained in many different materials including tool steel. most commonly it is in O1 tool steel if memory serves me correctly. have purchased miles of the stuff in my career.

Top Bottom