cutting Pen tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I use a parting tool in my metal lathe.

A bandsaw with fine blade. Eclipse mini saw. After either of the preceding square up and to length with a sander. Any number of mini chop saws. What do you already have?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use a tubing cutter and I take my time. I "can" cut one in less than a minute but it will roll the tube inward and I will need a few twists of the reamer to get the inside diameter back to the original size. So, I do 1/8 to 1/4 turns on the knobs at the most and rotate around the tube a couple of time, repeat.

It is hard to clean up teeth marks on small short pieces, so I stay away from bandsaws or circular saw blades. Angle grinder or use the lathe and a file edge as a parting tool.

Waiting to see other's response.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Attachments

• IMGP1044.jpg
    IMGP1044.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

PenPal

Hi Charlie I use two methods

1. Three wheel small bandsaw....works a charm.

2. A dremel fitting I made for my Hercus Metal Lathe (I notice it was not tightened in the holder it levels dead centre).
It is made to fit in the tool holder position. The Aluminium extrusion happily is a beaut fit,in its use at a Truck Body Shop it holds the rear huge pins that swivel the the rear door on trucks. Corian and some locking screws. I was using it yesterday for another purpose with a Diamond Saw ,just love it. With the Lathe turning and the Dremel running it makes a fabulous clean cut.It would be easy to mount to a tool post on the wood lathe.
It makes perfect grooves in metal to take Circlips,being on a swivel 360 degree cuts or fancy cuts easily achieved.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0004.JPG