Cutting pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fordwakeman

Is there a video of someone using a sled to cut pen blank? I want get nice uniform blanks and want to see what others are using. I've looked on youtube and around and haven't seen anything. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

The fence on a table saw or band saw can be used for both thickness and length. Stop blocks can be used on a band saw or cutoff saw.

dogcatcher

Search YouTube for "sled for segmented turning". After watching a few, you should have figured out the sled system. With clamps and a good sled you will get great cuts and maybe open up a new era in segmenting.

gtriever

For standard blanks, I use the rip fence on the table saw to cut the stock to width, and then a small crosscut sled with a stop block for the length. If you're cutting segments, Google "ripping thin strips" and it should give you some ideas for jigs. I use a miter gauge in combination with a thin rip jig for that, down to 1/16. Sorry, no videos. I haven't tried anything smaller than 1/16 yet, but I'm just getting started in pen turning.

Dehn0045

I like the simple crosscut sled. I use a stop block which I position by setting the tube where the wood will go, it is really simple to adjust the amount of excess depending on the blowout risk when drilling. I think Matthias Wandel's design is about as simple as you can get.

https://youtu.be/m4ImoPkHaMc

After that, you can try his box joint jig (which is at least slightly more complicated...).

NVSB4

I made a simple sled for my bandsaw that just rides in the guide slot.
You just have to make sure that the cross piece is square with the runner.
I've made marks for each of the sizes that I use right now.

Attachments

• 20170522_171956.jpg
    20170522_171956.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 184

jttheclockman

Is there a video of someone using a sled to cut pen blank? I want get nice uniform blanks and want to see what others are using. I've looked on youtube and around and haven't seen anything. thanks

Wow you can not find videos for cutoff sleds???? Type the words cutoff sled videos and have at it.

Many threads on this topic here as well as instructions for building them in the library here.

www.penturners.org/forum/f56/plans-sled-tablesaw-45102/

chartle

Yes you need just a simple small crosscut table saw jig.

Some then mark the fence with standard blank lengths like Slimline or Sierra for quick setup.

campzeke

I use my band saw with a sled/jig to cut all of my blanks. I never measure anything anymore. Below are a few photos of the sled I made. Basically it is a simple sled with a "key" and a "gauge".

The 1st photo shows the sled with a 1" wide fence along the back edge. If I were going to make another sled, I would make the fence 2" wide to give a little more room when you cut through the blank.

The 2nd photo shows the location of the "key". This measurement is not critical because the "gauge" is what determines length of the cut blank. Again, if I were to do this over I would move the key farther to the right leaving about 5 1/2" between the key and the blade. That would allow you to use the sled to square the end of a 5 1/4" blank if needed. I used a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum to make the key and epoxied it in a kerf cut on my table saw.

The 3rd photo shows the bottom of the sled. I simply used a piece of oak as a runner cut to fit the slot in my band saw.

The remaining photos show how the sled is used. The pen tube is positioned to the right of the key. The gauge is then placed over the tube and key then pushed to the left pressing the tube tight against the key. The blank is then positioned against the fence and the gauge. Hold everything in place and cut.

My gauge is set up and labeled for 2 different sized cuts. The "1st Cut" side of the gauge is used to cut Acrylic, PR, Inlace and other similar materials a little longer than needed. After the 1st Cut, I drill the blank stopping just before the going all the way through. I then flip the gauge and make the "Final Cut" cutting off the un-drilled end exposing the hole through the blank. This prevents chip out and damaging the blank. On wood blanks I only use the "Final Cut" side of the gauge.

If you want to make a similar sled, I suggest you make the sled with the key installed first. Then you will need to figure out the length and spacing for your gauge. It's not that difficult and it really saves a lot of time spent measuring and cutting down the road. There are probably a dozen other ways to accomplish the same thing but this works quite well for me. I am sure someone can come up with something similar for a table saw.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20170523_134204.jpg
    20170523_134204.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 190
  • 20170523_134308.jpg
    20170523_134308.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 20170523_134331.jpg
    20170523_134331.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170523_134401.jpg
    20170523_134401.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 20170523_134421.jpg
    20170523_134421.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20170523_134448.jpg
    20170523_134448.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

NLAlston

Hi there.

There is a YouTube video presenter, by the name of Lynn Lacey (LL Wordworks), who has a video of a slightly more advanced 'small parts' cutoff sled. I know that you've mentioned just an interest in cutting your blanks to size, but I offer this info under the possibility of your gaining future interest, also, in a bit wider aspect of small, wood cutoff pieces.

His jig (very nicely done, I might add) would aid, immensely, in 'segmenting' aspects - which is something which just may grab you, at some point. But, which could also be used for what you, presently, desire. A few months ago, I had built a very simple pen blank cutoff sled, which has served that purpose fine. But I am, now, going to construct Lynn's version - which (as already stated) would afford increased capability.

Good luck, to you.

ALA

I made a simple sled for my bandsaw that just rides in the guide slot.
You just have to make sure that the cross piece is square with the runner.
I've made marks for each of the sizes that I use right now.
My sled for the bandsaw is about like this except I have a stop. Lots of enjoyment in making the sleds! :)

Top Bottom