For custom finial turners(?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Two completely different items: the PennState one is a chuck (it holds and drives the workpiece), the Packard Woodworks one is a live center that supports the long pointy end of a decorative finial furthest away from the headstock.

When I've made replacement cabochons (the button that goes in the end of a pen barrel finial) I just glued a little piece of the blank to a waste block and turned & polished it, then parted it off.

When making kitless pens, I need access to both ends of the finial (to thread one end and polish the other). Normally I use a collet chuck for the first step, then screw the finial onto the pen cap to finish the other end.

TonyL

ok..

Dan..I couldn't really see it clearly in the video, but I do appreciate it.

Dan Masshardt

ok..

Dan..I couldn't really see it clearly in the video, but I do appreciate it.

I also did a thread here awhile ago with pics. That might give you the look you're after. Somebody here turned that into a handout for a turning club too I believe.

I think you may be overcomplicating it in your head? There isn't really anything up close to see. Turn it to fit the cap, finish it and part it off. Extremely simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Gluing your finial material to the end of a round dowel and then turning it to final diameter and cutting it off when done makes more sense. But IF you want to have a reason to buy more toys then yes yes it does do a wonderful Job!:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

Gluing your finial material to the end of a round dowel and then turning it to final diameter and cutting it off when done makes more sense. But IF you want to have a reason to buy more toys then yes yes it does do a wonderful Job!:biggrin:

There is a decent YouTube video on this method. I linked to it in the video I did.

Many turners have the pen jaws on a chuck so there is no gadget to buy.

But another possible big plus to the dowel rod approach like you mention is that you can use a tiny piece of blank material. My approach with a chuck requires enough of a blank to chuck up.

Unless you chucked a waste piece of some sort and glued to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I do not know what videos you are talking about but there is a difference when gluing a piece to a scrap and using a dowel or blank end and just turning it. The difference is end grain. I am sure you can figure which one will give you what but that could be a huge difference in appearance and or strength if need be.

Dan Masshardt

I do not know what videos you are talking about but there is a difference when gluing a piece to a scrap and using a dowel or blank end and just turning it. The difference is end grain. I am sure you can figure which one will give you what but that could be a huge difference in appearance and or strength if need be.

Now that is something to take into consideration.

Although having done many finals and even Moreso cufflinks, I've been pleased with the end grain results. Primarily with olive wood which is very forgiving and with resins where there is no grain.

But yeah, really good point of consideration. Of course you can glue endgrain out to a dowel as well but if you want long grain, I can't think of any other method besides gluing a small chunk to something to turn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom