Cross threading Beal collet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Someone I know (not saying who) seems to have cross threaded his Beall Collet Chuck so it will not tighten down on the collets. Is there any simple way to "uncross thread" the chuck? If you have a suggestion I will pass it along to whoever it was that cross threaded it! :eek:)
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

When that happens, the 1st challenge is getting the collett closer off.

Hopefully the threads have not been severely compromised and can be refreshed with thread restoration tools. Fine feather files if you cannot locate a rethreading tap and die.

The challenge is to not catch crossed threads again. they are waiting to trap you as soon as you get in a hurry.

Nicholson 4 Piece Thread Repair File Set, Single Cut, Square Shape, Fine, 8-3/8" Length

Found these on Amazon.com....I had a set years ago but haven's seen any locally in a long time...

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Phillip. Found those on Amazon for about $45. The only problem is I'm not sure I would know what to do them after I get them. I don't suppose they come with instructions? ;o)

Marmotjr

They work like a tap/die, but in a file form. Find the correct file and thread combination, it's easy, just hold up the file to the threads till it fits, and then gently file away the damaged threads. It will leave the correct threads in place.

I use these all the time at work, fixing fudged up bolts, it's usually easier and faster than getting a new one.

Once you get your hands on a set, and grab any bolt you have laying around, you'll see exactly how they work.

And they work wonder's on calluses on your feet. Or her feet.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You will probably need a Metric Thread file to chase the threads. If not Someone with a metal lathe that can cut metric threads should be able to clean them up for um who ever it is that needs it.

Top Bottom