Craftsman Pro Lathe - should I buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ottotroll

Craftsman Pro - wood lathe

This is about 2 hours from my house, but with travels, I will be within an hour this weekend.... because of arthritis and a fused wrist, I am never planning on turning anything large, but this looks like a great deal... but it is 5 feet long!
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ottotroll

Well... First off, thanks for the input... sounds like my $103 HF model is still the winner, lol... did not want to think about hauling that in a VW, anyway....

Steve Busey

I got my dad's Craftsman Pro when he passed away in 2007. Used it regularly for about 5 years before upgrading to a Jet 1642.

If you struggle with arthritis & wrist problems, the variable speed knob could cause you pain - it runs the mechanical Reeves drive and requires some effort. Also, every year I had to pull out the gear pullers and disassemble, clean and lube the Reeves drive pulleys & shaft. An awkward but doable process. Never had belt problems though.

Currently use it for a dedicated buffing station (the Beall Buff 3 wheel system). $100 sounds like a good price, but be aware of the maintenance, & exertion required to change speeds.

raar25

Run dont walk away from that lathe and never look back. I already made that mistake a year ago and was selling it within 2 weeks after I started using it.

I have owned craftsman -jet - and several others that i bought from high school wood shops the one i currently own and am sold on is the oneway in my opinion you can not buy a better lathe

blksnak

I just love it

Dissing a $300 lathe and recommending a $5000 lathe is truly funny. I don't think this guy is interested in making that kind of investment. I have the craftsman pro and have made close to 1000 pens on it. Yes, you have to clean and lube the reeves drive yearly, and the plastic knobs have to be replaced with heavier ones. I will be upgrading soon, but it was a great beginner full size lathe. I don't think it will be a good fit for someone with arthritis though. The speed adjustment knob is hard to turn. May advise would be to get a mini or midi lathe instead. They are much smaller and will probably be easier for someone with a disability to work with and move around if necessary.

Top Bottom