Craftsman 38" VS Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Crice

I just had a problem with my lathe. I had just finished putting a coat of FP on a set of blanks. I went to slow the speed from 2000 to 400 so I could shut down the lathe and started getting belt "slap". I ran it back up to speed and tried again. I have blown out dust, etc. and the problem is still present. It will not go down to 400 and it is now hard to take back up to 2000. I checked the Owners Manual and it does not mention any other maintainance. I am at a loss. Has anyone else experienced this. Getting a real lathe is not an option as this one is only about 9 months old. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I had a similar experience with my Grizzly. The belt flat wore out with about one years use. It was a %#&^* [:(!] to replace. Took help to hold a spring in while I replaced a retaining ring. If your belt is gone, it's gone. Take the covers off, inspect. If you get lucky, the shafts may just be dry and lubeing them might put you back in business. I wouldn't bet on that though.

M

Mudder

Jerry,

If it's only 9 months old it should still be under warranty?

Jerry Crice

I will give Sears a call tomorrow since it is still under warranty. I looked at the belt and it looked to be in good shape, but looks are deceiving. Thanks for all the assistance and quick response.

Jerry Crice

Update - I took the cover off and blew the dust out of the headstock. There was very little there to clean out. I then used silicone to lube the pulleys. Final result - it is working like new. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom